Chapter 28

Kara's POV

I guess you could say I was being a paranoid mother. Lena hasn't gone on maternity leave yet and its driving me nuts. . Her late night stays at night in the lab and long work hours were worrying me.  I had also started to work more from home. The only time I was in the office was to collect my assignments. Of course I would also get an ear full from Snapper from time to time, but less than before.

I was washing dishes when Lena walked into the kitchen. A hand on her back she waddled in and smiled.

"Do you need any help darling?" She asked.

"No, love. You go ahead and relax. I got the dishes" I smile back.  I set the last dish on the rack and turn to her.

"You dont have to do everything you know" she says teasingly.

"I know, but being Supergirl I can do it in one minute" I laugh. Lena rolls her eyes with a smile and went to sit on one of the chairs.

I could see her lightly rubbing her protruding belly and smiled. Her due date is coming soon and I was excited to say the least.

I still thought about the dreams I've been having but other than being scary, they seemed harmless. The last dream was about Mon-El. Something had seemed off with him and it worried me.

Once done with the dishes, I called Alex to see if she would want to come over. We were going to watch movies and take it easy since Lena couldnt do much.

"I'll be right over! Do you mind if I tell mom too? I'm sure she'll want to join in on movie night" Alex said excitedly.

"Sure. Lena said that she actually wanted to talk to mom about something anyways" I shrug. Alex hangs up and I see Lena in the living room trying to pick up the remote from the floor.

"Do you need help honey?" I ask innocently. Lena really hates not being able to do simple things.

"No, I'm fine. Why dont you start picking out some movies?" She responds. I grin and make my way to the cabinets with the movies. We have Netflix, but we tend to be old school sometimes.

I pick out Leap Year and turn to see my flushed looking wife still grasping for the remote. I pick it up off the floor and Lena crosses her arms and rests them on her belly. I kiss her forehead and herd her toward the couch.

"Thank you" she grumbles.

"You're welcome Ms. Cranky Pants" I kiss her cheek and she snuggles into my side.

The movie had only just started when the doorbell rang. I could see through the door that it was Alex, and she didnt look happy. I got up and opened the door.

"I hope you didnt pick a sad movie" she mumbles. I knew something else was bothering her but I didnt press. Alex is usually a pretty straightforward person so she would have told me right away.

I let her in and Lena greets her and we play the movie. I glance at Alex every so often and see her stone faced. When the movie ended Lena kissed me good night and gave Alex a hug.

"I'm going to stay up a bit. You can go to bed with Lena if you want" Alex says. She walks out to our back porch and I follow her. She leans over the railing and I stand next to her.

"I know you probably dont want to talk about it, but I still want to at least keep you company" I say softly. We sat in silence for a while before she spoke.

"Am I not meant to have a family?" She whispers. I look at her questioningly and wait for her to speak again.

"Have I been trying to hard that the universe is telling me no? It took away the first woman I ever loved and squashed my hopes of having kids. Is it really too much to ask for a family of my own?" I could hear the emotion in her voice and I pulled her into a hug.

"Oh, Alex. You havent done anything wrong. Maybe it just isnt your time for this. I'm sure if you just wait a bit longer, doors will open for you" I murmur.

"I've tried to be patient but the longer I wait the more I want to give up" she cries. My heart goes out to my sister and I try to comfort her. I try to convince her that it's not too late and to wait a little longer. After what feels like hours we finally go to sleep.

I try to be as quiet as possible and not wake Lena. I laid down, pulled the covers back over us, and wrapped an arm around her. I spread my hand out over her belly and gently rubbed. There was a sharp pain in my chest at the thought of not having them in my life. I can only imagine what Alex must be going through.

Lena's POV

Kara had told what had happened last night with Alex. I felt for my sister-in-law and a thought struck my mind.

Kara had to go to work at Catco today so I asked Alex to accompany me to Lcorp for some finishing touches before I'm on maternity leave. I walk in and discreetly ask Jess if Sam was at the office today.

I walk into her office to see her with a pile of paperwork on her desk. I smile understanding the position shes in.

"Lena! How are you?" She smiles. I give her a hug and smile back.

"I'm doing fine. I just wanted to tie loose ends before I would be leaving for the next few months" I explain, gesturing to my baby bump.

"Of course. Is there anything I can do for you?" she asks.

"At the moment, no. If you would like I can help you with that paperwork" I nodded.

"That would be amazing. And who would you be?" Sam looked to Alex. Alex looked like a deer caught in headlights and for the first time the agent wasnt prepared.

"This is Kara's sister, Alex" I say. They shake hands and Sam gives Alex a warm smile.

"Nice to meet you Alex" she grins.

"Likewise" Alex smiles back. I watch the exchange between the two and decide I should leave.

"I'm going to go to the lab and grab a few things to take home. I can help you with the paperwork afterwards. Can I leave Alex here til I return?" I ask innocently.

"Of course. Do you want me to send anyone to help you carry anything?" I walk towards the door and shake my head.

"I'll only be a few minutes. Nothing too strainuious or else I'll have a lecture from my wife" With that I left Alex and Sam alone and hoped that everything would work out.

Holy crap it's been a while. Please have mercy on this author. I'm hoping that this new twist will help get me back on track and would love to hear what you think! Updates are kind of up in the air and I have no idea when the next one will be. I'll try to get some done if I can find the time. Happy New Year Raccoons! Let's start this year off right!