Chapter 39

Lena's POV

I paced the main room of the fortress and tried to think of where my wife had gone. It's been two days and not a single word has come through. Kara was no where to be seen when we arrived and I nearly broke down. I just want my sunshine.

Suddenly there was a crash and Alex and I rushed to see what it was. Kara was walking out of a room with a woman trailing behind her. As soon as I saw my wife I rushed forward ignoring the other person and wrapped her in my arms.

"Kara! I was so worried. I woke up and you were gone and I heard nothing. I wasnt sure if something had happened to you or the baby. Are you alright? What happened?" I placed my hands on her cheeks and she pulled me closer.

She kissed me with a smile and I melted into it and held on to her for dear life. I had missed her and this ordeal was less than exciting. When we pulled away Kara turned to the woman.

"I want you to meet someone" she said to them.

The woman stepped forward and I finally looked at her. She wore a long blue dress and she smile cautiously at me. I looked at her strangely and wondered who this woman was.

"Hello Lena. My name is Alura. I am Kara's mother" she said.

Shock shot through my body and I turned to Kara for confirmation. She nodded her head and I tried to compose myself. I stuck my hand out to her but she didnt take it.

"My name is Lena. I am Kara's wife. It's an honor to finally meet you. I wasnt aware that you were-" my voice trailed off and she smiled.

"Yes, I was supposedly dead. A city of Krypton was able to survive thanks to my husband. Now, I understand we have some things to discuss" she says.

She starts to walk out of the fortress and motions for me to follow. Normally my professional persona would surface and I would be calm. But I was following my soulmates mother. Someone I desperately needed to win over if I was to keep peace in our family. I kissed Kara's cheek and cautiously walked outside.

I pulled my coat tighter around me as the cold wind whipped at my face. Kara's mother stood still overlooking the ocean, waiting for me. I stood beside her and debated if I should start talking.

"I know you and Kara are soulmates. She showed me back at Argo. Tell me Lena, do you think you are worthy of my daughter?" She asks. I was confused and wanted to tell her what she wanted to hear. That I was worthy and list the reasons why, but that wasnt the case. I didnt feel worthy. My Kara was far too perfect for me and it was only by grace and luck that we were paired for eternity.

"No. I am not. I dont say this to be humble or to gain your likeness. I genuinely dont believe that I am worthy of your daughter. She is the image of perfection and I was scared that I might dirty that image. I can only count my lucky stars that the woman I fell in love with felt the same for me. It wasnt until later that we discussed the soulmates bond. I nearly cried that the universe was finally letting me have something good in my life. I may not have done anything myself but I always was looked down upon because of my family. I was cold and didnt expect anything more from people after that. If people would only see a Luthor as evil and untrustworthy, then there was no use in trying to be anything else. In the beginning I tried, but I gradually started to give up. Your daughter appeared in my life and suddenly my dark world was colorful and bright. So to answer your question, no, I dont think I am worthy of your daughter. But I will spend every waking day of my life trying to prove that I can be."

I finish my speech and wait for Kara's mother to do something. Yell, slap me, chide me. Yet what she did completely caught me off guard. She began to cry. I reached my hand out wanting to comfort her but retracted it wondering if it would only upset her more.

"Of all the men who asked to court my daughter, you are the first to give this answer. All of them said that they were worthy and glorified themselves as if they were Gods that Kara would be luck to have. Yet, you glorify Kara and count yourself as lucky" she says. Theres tears staining her cheeks and I stand there watching her. She smiles and pulls me into a hug.

"Thank you for taking care of my daughter. I am so glad that she married someone like you" she says. I hug her back and we return into the fortress.

Kara is talking to Alex about Allie and stops when she notices us. She frowns at her mothers tear streaked face but I give her a smile to assure her everything is fine.

"I believe there is another grandchild I need to meet?" Alura smiles.

"Of course! Shes back at the DEO so we can head there now" Alex responds.

We all enter the helicopter Alex and I came in and leave for the DEO.

Kara's POV

I was relieved that my mother and Lena got along. As soon as my mother found out that Lena loved science they started geeking out. I had no idea what they were talking about but I was just happy to be with my family all together again.

When we arrived at the DEO Sam greeted us with an excited Allie in her arms. Allie wiggled around and flapped her arms at the sight of us and Lena grabbed her.

"Hello love. Were you a good girl for Auntie Sam? We have a surprise for you. Do you know who that is?" She cooed. Allie spotted my mother and stared at her in wonderment.

My mother let out a cry and reached for her grandchild. She held her and kissed her forehead.

"Hello little one. I am your grandmother. I have so much to teach you young one" she says.

They walk around and some DEO agents come to greet them. Alex is reuniting with Sam and I lean on my wife's shoulder.

"How are you darling?" She whispers.

"Much better now that our family is together" I smile. Lena hugs me close and I kiss her lips. I feel a kick and I stop the kiss abruptly. Lena and I look at each other and laugh. She puts her hands on my belly and a few more kicks come up.

"Looks like we have a feisty one" I laugh.

"I think they get it from their mother" she says kissing my cheek.

"Yes, they do get it from you."

*****
My mother stayed with us for a couple of days before she said she had to go back to Argo. I was sad to see her go but knew that this wouldnt be the last time I see her. It was comforting knowing this and made our goodbye just a tad bit easier.

Lena was putting Allie down for her nap and I was folding clothes. I set out piles on the bed and Lena entered our room.

"She will probably sleep for a few hours before she gets hungry again" she says. She starts to help me fold and I smile.

"Alex still hasn't gotten over the fact that Allie wasnt even a few months old before you got me pregnant" I tease.

"Excuse me, but I remember a particular someone seducing me that night. Claiming that you missed me because you were so worried" she laughs. I laugh with her but its cut short when I feel a sharp pain in my belly.

Lena notices my sudden quietness and looks at me with concerned eyes. I open my mouth to tell her I'm alright when suddenly theres a pool of liquid beneath me.

"I think my water just broke."