Chapter 10

Kara's POV

Rao, I would have asked her to marry me then and there but that would have been too much. A wave of peace came over me knowing that she felt the same. I had backed away from her realizing I was in my super suit still.

"Where are you going?"she asked worriedly.

"I'll be right back I promise. Just go to bed" I smiled. I flew as quick as I could back to my apartment and changed into my pajamas.

I flew back to Lena's penthouse and saw that she had gone to bed. I tiptoed in just in case she had fallen asleep.

"Kara?" I heard her voice in the darkness and I smiled.

"I'm here" I murmured. I eased into the bed and Lena immediately attached herself to me.

I grabbed her waist and hung on to her as she hooked a leg over me. I love being her body pillow. I closed my eyes and listened to the beat of her heart.

*****

I woke up and felt like something was missing. I reached around the bed in search of Lena, but it was empty. I sat up and realized I was back in my apartment.

How the hell did I get back here? I got up grumpily and noticed that I was going to be late for work.

"Shit!" I hissed underneath my breath. 

I used my superspeed to get ready and quickly made my way to Catco. I sat in my office wondering how I wasnt in Lena's bed. Was it really all a dream? I tapped my pen against my desk frustratingly and bit my nail. I knew I would see Lena later today for the interview and lunch, but it bothered me more and more that she didnt know we were soulmates.

I tried to write some more of my article with what we had interviewed before when James walked in.

"Hey Kara. Just thought I would stop in" he smiled.

"Hey James. Sorry I'm trying to get something done for this article but I'm drawing a blank" I huff.

"You're writing about Lena Luthor right? That must be hard. What is she like? I bet she's cold as ice isn't she?" he grunted.

"No shes not" I growl.

"So shes worse? I thought so. Good luck with the rest of your time with her" he chuckles.

I slammed my hands on my desk and cracks spread from beneath my hands.

"I am so sick and tired of people talking shit about her! Lena is a very intelligent and compassionate woman. She is nothing like Lillian or Lex and she is far better than you will ever be! So get your head out of your ass and wipe the shit out of your eyes!" I yelled.

James stood still with a shocked expression on his face and struggled to say something.

"Are you ok Kara? Did she do something to you?" he finally asked.

At that moment I saw red. The protective side of me for my soulmate took over and I hovered over to James. I grabbed his shirt collar and lifted him off the ground.

"If you say one more thing about Lena, I will throw you off the top of this building. I dont ever want to hear or see you again, do you understand? Nor do I want to hear that you confronted Lena" I hiss with hatred dripping from every word.

James slowly nodded his head and I could feel him shaking in my hands. I released him and sat down again at my desk. James quickly left my office and I put my head in my hands. What am I going to do?

Lena's POV

I was looking forward to seeing Kara today and wondered if she might want to have dinner tonight as well. I flipped through my schedule when I heard my door open. I was going to scold the person when I realized it was Kara.

"Kara! What a pleasure, I was just thinking about you" I smiled.

I could see that she was unhappy and it sent uneasy tingles up my back.

"Are you alright Kara? Did something happen?" I asked worriedly.

Without a word she wrapped me in a hug and I returned it immediately. She tightened her hold and I heard a sniffle. I silently lead her to my couch and rubbed her back softly.

She cried quietly on my shoulder and I leaned against the back of the couch with her basically on me. I continued to rub her back and she started to calm down.

"Thank you" she whispered. I began to run my fingers through her hair and kissed her hairline.

"I will always be here for you Kara" I murmured. I could hear her stomach growl and I chuckled a little. "Let's get some lunch, shall we?"

As usual we went to our little cafe with the outside table and Kara still hadn't said a word. I began to really worry but I didnt want to upset her further and stayed quiet. When our lunch was over we said goodbye and Kara returned to Catco.

I sat at my desk thinking of anything that may have upset Kara so much but I couldnt figure what. I decided to investigate.

"Jess?" I said through the intercom.

"Yes, Miss Luthor?"

"Will you ask around Catco and find out why Ms. Danvers seemed upset today?" I said.

"Of course Ms. Luthor."

I waited and did some paperwork wondering when Jess would come back with an answer. Finally my phone rang.

"Yes?"

"Ms. Luthor? It seems that a Mr. James Olsen had paid a visit to Ms. Danvers office this morning and she seemed upset there after" Jess reported.

"Will you call to schedule an appointment with him? I would prefer to see him immediately and thank you."

"Yes Ms. Luthor."

I wondered who this James Olsen was and what might he have said that would cause Kara to react the way she did. I heard a knock on my door and I called for them to come in.

A younger looking man stepped in and I leaned back in my office chair.

"You want to speak to me Ms. Luthor?" He said nervously.

"You must be James Olsen" I say with a sweet smile.

"Yes Ma'am" he said almost cockily. It made my skin prick.

"I just had a few questions for you. You can be seated" I motioned to the chair in front of me and he sat down. "I was curious to know why K-Ms. Danvers came to my office today seeming upset." Shit I almost let it slip.

"I'm not sure Ms. Luthor" he said. I noticed he looked to left, a dead sign he was lying, and smirked. I leaned forward in my chair and clasped my hands on my desk.

"Mr. Olsen I have worked with mostly men in my profession and I know when one is lying to me. I usually let it slide and not get to me, but since this is about Ms. Danvers I suggest you rethink your answer. If I find you continuously lie to me I will have a word with Ms. Grant. I do not take this lightly Mr. Olsen, so dont fuck with me. Why would Ms. Danvers cry in my office for an hour straight after a visit from you." Venom dripped from every word I spit out to him and I could have sworn I saw him shake a little. Good. 

"I was talking to her about you. There are rumors of what kind of person you are and I knew Kara was interviewing you, but she snapped at me as soon as I brought it up. I swear thats all that happened" he said. James looked like he was waiting to be slapped, and I should have, but it didnt come. 

"Good day Mr. Olsen" I said dismissively. 

"But-.."

"GOOD DAY. If this ever happens again there will be consequences" I growl. He nods his head and leaves my office. My dear Kara was protective.... I like it.