Chapter 5: Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

Chapter 5

My eyes remained wide open as the loud bang of the gun rung through my ears from its close proximity and echoed around the forest as the bullet flew over my shoulder.

My mate exhaled loudly as he lowered his gun and his gaze.

A smug smile appeared on my face as I felt some relief. I knew he wasn't going to shoot me from his body language but after only knowing him for a few minutes, I took a risk.

"Knew it," I whispered.

He looked at me in surprise, "How-" But before he could ask his question, I punched him in the gut.

"That's for wanting to kill me, you lunatic," I said as I twisted his arm and grabbed the gun which I chucked across from us and near the stream.

"Fuck!" He groaned as he doubled over in pain.

"Yeah, yeah. Quit whining." I said as I moved behind him to secure his arms.

Just as I was about to detain him, however, he threw his elbow back and knocked me square in the nose.

"You son of a-" But before I could finish, my pack was charging in.

"Who let the dogs out?" He asked bitterly as he was doubled over in pain. "How about you grab my gun and kill me before they do." He suggested.

I cupped my bleeding nose as I shifted my body in front of the human whose name I still didn't know.

"How about you shut up before they actually do?" I retorted. "Don't you dare touch him," I said to my pack as I wiped some blood off on my t-shirt. Luckily dad didn't show up yet.

'But Alpha,' Sam started.

'Not now Sam. You and Charlotte shift and help me tie him up.' I commanded.

'But Alpha-' He continued.

'I said not now.' I groaned as I held my broken nose and snapped it into place.

'Fine. But you'll like to know that he's running.' Sam stated.

I turned around and he was right. That jerkface was running back in the direction we came from.

"Just great," I mumbled before taking off after him.

He was pretty fast for a human. A bit too fast for my liking.

But he was no match for my Alpha abilities.

Honestly, if I wasn't an Alpha I would be a lazy couch potato. It seemed like an ideal career honestly.

I could feel a few branches and the edges of rocks cutting my bare feet but not long after, I pushed my body weight forward and tackled the man to the ground.

"Oof!" He groaned as his body landed on the forest floor.

His body was oddly warm. The temperature rivaled that of my werewolf body, which was strange since humans didn't exactly get this warm. But it didn't feel alarmingly hot to indicate that he had a fever.

My entire body, however, tingled from the physical connection that we had but I cleared the fuzzy feeling within me caused by the mate bond as I tried to secure his arms.

He tried to shake me off him but I placed my legs on either side of his body in a straddling position before I grabbed his left arm and twisted it behind his back.

"Stop fighting me," I growled in his ear.

"Like I'll actually listen." He scoffed.

I put more pressure on his arm until he yielded.