Chapter 36: Pinky Promise

Chapter 36

Cal's extra warm body was wrapped around my own as I tried to sleep the night after Finn's burial and candlelight service. No amount of counting sheep, emptying my thoughts of having Cal tell me to rest helped keep my eyes closed. 

The pack was in mourning all day and the atmosphere was thick with worry and concern and we tried to come to terms with what's coming. 

Grandma Anne has been hard at work growing silver berries and with her powers, we would have more than we will need for the war. 

My mom has been ensuring everyone is healed and is in perfect condition for fighting. 

Callum's firepower is stronger and better than ever.

The pack is still adjusting to working with the hunters. 

And time was running short on us. 

Screwing my eyes shut, I willed myself to sleep but no luck as the clock struck two in the morning. 

With a sigh, I gave up and wiggled my way out of Cal's arms so he wouldn't wake up. 

We have yet to hear from some of the packs if they would help us but Aunt Tate, my father's sister, was coming tomorrow with her mate to fight with some of their pack. 

Luckily, my dad and the others he took with him got the large food supply we had ordered so we could feed everyone. At least I could cross those off my list of suspects.

A list that was still empty.

Flipping on the light in my office, I powered up my computer and started looking through emails. 

Not five minutes after, I heard shuffling from down the hall and smelt Cal approaching. 

"Hey," He greeted groggily as he wiped the sleep out of his eyes and leaned against the doorframe without a shirt on. "Why are you still up?"

"Can't sleep," I pouted and his eyes held concern. 

"How come?" He asked as he shuffled towards me and knelt down. 

I entwined my fingers with his and shrugged, "Can't turn my brain off. It's just running with thoughts and I can't make it stop."

"You wanna talk about it?" He tried with a hopeful expression.

"Not really..." I trailed off. "You should go back to bed though."

 "Come back to bed with me?" 

"I really can't sleep, I've been trying to for the past few hours."

He studied me before mumbling, "Okay."

I whispered something about keys and turned towards the door. 

"If you're sleepwalking, I'm not stopping you from falling down the stairs," I called after him.

"Haha, very funny, babe," Came his response.

I waited to see what he was up to and five minutes passed until he came back in with a shirt and hoodie on with his converse on his feet. In his hands, he held another hoddie and my matching converse to his. 

"Where we going?" I questioned as he placed my sneakers at my feet and handed over my hoodie. 

"Out," He replied simply as I pulled on my shoes and hoodie before he took my hand and pulled me out the door. "Let's go."

"Cal it's after two in the morning, where could we possibly be going?" I groaned even though I was curious and wanted the distraction.

"You'll see," He replied as he grabbed keys off the counter and ice-cream.