Chapter 35: Wicked & Wise

Chapter 35

Shifting behind some trees, I pulled on the clothes the Moon Goddess left me. I felt Callum near me through our mate bond and I didn't waste a second before running to the packhouse on bare feet.

He was standing right there in the backyard with his head towards the ground and his hands in pockets but as I got closer he lifted his face to me.

The expression on his face held anguish and I knew I made him worry unnecessarily. Cal's hands left his pockets immediately and I ran right into his arms. 

Pulling me into him impossibly close, I felt myself fall apart. 

The tears finally came as I pressed my face to his neck and willed them away. 

"Let it all out, Princess," Cal whispered into my hair. 

Sobs escaped me as I felt one of his hands go behind my knees as he picked me up. I felt us move into the packhouse and up the staircase before settling into the couch.

I remained in Callum's lap as he rubbed my back in comfort and let me cry over Finn.

Sobs turned into sniffles that turned to hiccups until I finally quiet down.

Through our mate bond, I could feel Cal's emotions.

Anger, relief, and sadness were all wrapped into one.

"I'm sorry," I apologized to him when the silence stretched out.

He grabbed my chin and brought my face out from the crook of his neck.

"Ev, you have nothing to apologize for."

I shook my head as he brushed my tears away.

"No, I shouldn't have run off like that. It was stupid and careless considering what happened to Finn. I'm sorry I worried you, Cal... I-I just didn't know what to do."

"Shh, beautiful, it's alright." He brought my forehead to his lips. "You did worry me but you needed a moment. Just promise me the next time you need some quiet to go somewhere safe and close by. Within the pack maybe."

I nodded my head immediately, "I promise. I can't believe I was so stupid to run off like that."

He brushed my hair back and asked, "Are you okay?"

"No... yes? I honestly don't know," I admitted as I picked at a loose thread on his t-shirt. 

"It's alright to not be okay, you know that right? You don't need to be the brave one all the time. You don't need to be strong every second," He urged. 

I shook my head at what he said. How can I possibly do that? I had to be strong.

"I need to lead the pack-"

"We need to lead the pack," he corrected me. "You can take a moment to breathe Ev, I will do my part to make sure the pack doesn't fall apart."

Brushing some of his stray curls from his forehead, I gave him a strained smile, "I know and I love you for it."

"I feel a 'but' coming on," He rose an eyebrow at me.

"But," I sighed tiredly, "I need to get back to the pack and deal with the hunters."

"Ev you-"

"I brought them here Cal, I should go face them. How was there reaction anyways?" I asked with worry.

Sliding me off his lap, he wrapped a throw around me before trailing to the kitchen. 

"Cal?" I faltered when he didn't answer me.