Chapter 37: Sherlock Holmes

Chapter 37

'Stop making all that noise before I knock you out!' I yelled at Callum through our mind link because he was trying to open a very noisy pack of potato chips.

'It's not my fault you made us skip lunch,' He retorted. 

'This is more important than food right now so put that away,' I went to reach for the pack but he held it away from me and made even more noise.

'Callum,' I groaned.

'Okay, okay. I'll stop...for now,' He said and gently set the pack down on the grass.

This morning was uneventful. After checking out the other two suspects, they were in the clear. No suspicious activities, relatively normal and quite civilized with the hunters. Nothing out of the ordinary. 

Now were tagging Bert and Doris. Callum still had his reservations, but I knew something was up. It had to be or else we'd be back to where we were before. 

With no answers. 

Currently, we were sitting across the street from Doris's house, nestled in the forest. 

My binoculars could only see through the cracks between her curtains, but she barely moved from her spot in front of the television. 

She sat down, put on the tv, went to the kitchen and then returned with a bowl in her hands. 

After reporting that she was having lunch, Callum whipped out his noisy packet of chips. Luckily Doris didn't bat an eyelash. Hopefully, old age was making her werewolf hearing fade.

'Has she move yet?' Cal whispered into my head as if someone would overhear us.

'Nope, she's just sitting there watching Golden Girls reruns.'

'Maybe we should just leave. She's old and frail. A bit mean, but most old people are,' He shrugged like it was common knowledge.

'Well, we have some time left until Bert is finished with his training,' I informed him before peering through the binoculars again. 'Wait, she moved. Just exited the kitchen, moving to upstairs I think... Damn, I lost visual on her. I can't see through the curtains upstairs from here.'

'Ev, we're invading their personal space. It makes me feel like a creeper,' I felt him shudder beside me.

'Relax, it's for the greater good- wait I have eyes on her again,' I watched as she walked down the stairs and grabbed some novel off her coffee table. 'She's reading.'

Cal groaned beside me before laying on the grass and resting his head on my lap, 'Well, I'm taking a nap. Tell me when she's finished reading.'

'You could be a bit more helpful,' I flicked his forehead. 

'One, ouch. And two, I was until I realized that these people are more boring than I thought werewolves would be. I support you, babe, I do, but we're not getting anywhere with this. I think we should think harder, put more meaning to the riddle,' His eyes held determination.

'Okay, alright,' I relinquished. 'You may have a point, but I'm still checking up on Bert before we go all Sherlock Holmes.' 

'Wouldn't expect anything less,' He grinned before we both off the forest floor.

Taking one quick peek over at Doris's house, she was still sat on her chair reading.

'Let's go,' I said motioning in the direction of the training field.