Chapter 38: Death Was Reserved

Chapter 38

All the air left me in a rush as I processed what they said. 

Doris.

Doris whose house we were just watching. 

Holy shit.

That old bat!

"Guess you were right, Princess," Cal said in shock beside me.

"You already suspected it was her?" Abel asked in surprise.

"I had a feeling, but it's complicated to explain," I mused as I digested that it was Doris. "This seems too easy though. Too simple for it to be her."

"Except it's not. She's been planning this for the last twenty years," Holly informed us.

"Twenty years! That's when the rogue attacks started getting bad according to my father. She's been behind it since then, but why?" I aimed my question at Holly.

"I was only three years old at the time when my family heard of her. It was right when she started recruited all the rogues. She kept her identity a secret for a while but then as more rogues joined, we started seeing her around. All she said was that the Alpha family of the Blood Moon Pack had to be taken down because they weren't fit for leading a pack of wolves. She said your bloodline was washed away with human genes. Doris said that your pack would allow the humans to kill them if that's what the Luna wished," Holly said.

"This is about the hunters, it has to be. What happened before I was born, the war. She lost her mate and kids. That drove her to do it," I started pacing as my mind started running. "The Luna she spoke about is my mother. She blames us for what happened to her family, that has to be it. But how did she become a rogue and why didn't anyone notice?" 

"The hypersthene," Abel held up the black crystal. "She knew about it along so it only makes sense that she had a piece. She probably used it and said the oath to become a rogue and because of the hypersthene, no one realized she broke her pack link. No one noticed because there wasn't anyone around to, her family was dead and everyone else was grieving for their own losses."

"And she's been reclusive ever since I'd known her. Only shows up for pack meetings and to throw jabs at my mother or I. Fuck, I should have seen it coming. When she found out Callum was Jake's son...shit that must have just been the catalyst to make things worse." 

I was wearing a hole in the forest floor from all my pacing, but I was frustrated. 

"Is there anyone else from our pack helping her? Anymore angry pack members with a vengeance for revenge?" Cal asked.

"Not that we know of. According to Holly, Doris only had three guys she trusted with everything. One was her eldest brother and two others. Her brother was managing the integration into Fairbairn, that's why they were there," Abel said.

"And the next two?" I stopped and asked.

Holly answered this time, "One is in charge of training and general pack stuff and the other is responsible for getting the children to shift, strengthening the best fighters. She has all sorts of tricks up her sleeve and it's not going to be a quick fight. Doris wants revenge and blood, she's going to drag this out and make sure you feel the pain. She's ruthless. I... I don't know if your pack will survive Alpha."

I exchanged a look with Callum, "We have tricks of our own and she'll pay for this. Right now we need to go get her before she catches wind of us knowing."

"But before you leave, do you know if she has any plans for putting out fires?" Cal rose a brow.

Holly shook her head, "I'm sorry, I don't know. She kept most of her strategies between herself the guys. She's old but she's wise."