Chapter 40: Petrichor

Chapter 40

The loud thunder that rumbled through our room wasn't what woke me up. 

It was the voice yelling in my head.

'They're here Alpha! They're close to the Southern border! ETA ten minutes! Everyone wake up!' 

My eyes flew open as I flew out of bed with Callum right behind me. 

"South border?" He asked panic as he pulled a t-shirt on and started grabbing his guns.  

"They must have guesses we would expect them coming in from the North. Damn it, we should have known!" I said aggravated and tense as I helped him with his shoulder gun holster. 

They're here. They're finally here after we have been waiting for two weeks since Doris disappeared. 

A flash of lightning cracked across the sky in blinding light and I looked at Cal as I grew uneasy.

"It's going to fucking rain," I cursed. 

Shit! This was their plan all along. Wait for rain. Wait for an opportunity to weaken our weapon. 

Cal grabbed my arms, "It's not going to stop me, alright. I'm stronger now."

Before I could retort, he pulled me against him and pressed his lips to my own.

The emotions he was conveying through the simple exchange was too much for me. 

It felt too much like a goodbye. It felt too close to having him slip away from me. 

I gripped his t-shirt in my palms, "You're not leaving me." 

When he released me his icy green eyes thawed only to be replaced with ones that held fire behind them. Like a blazing inferno in the depths of hell.

"And you're not leaving me, Princess. Just remember one thing okay? I love you. Remember that," he said fiercely and my heart blossomed. 

"I love you too," I said through a lump in my throat. 

"One last thing," he grabbed the hypersthene from the nightstand. "In case something happens to me-"

"Cal-"

"I'm not saying something will, but you'll need to fight for the pack. Keep it and use it and win this fight."

I glared at him, "I won't. You need to keep it because you're not dying and I have no pockets. I need to keep in contact with the pack." 

"Everette-"

"I mean it. Keep it in your pocket Callum and use it if something happens, the pack needs you too," I held no room for argument.

Grumbling, he tossed it across the room, "If you're not taking it, then neither am I." 

My heart skipped like a pebble across water as he placed one last kiss on my forehead. Taking a deep breath, we scrabbled down the staircase. Everyone was moving around us as orders were being yelled out. 

I watched as Penelope gave her mate June a searing kiss before pulling away and wrapping Olly in an embrace. 

The elderly were gathering up all the kids to take them to the Crypt and I noticed Thor taking charge. 

My eyes went to my parents and Taelyn walking our way. 

Taelyn had her archery equipment set and even coated the tips of her arrows with silver berry. I had to give her credit, she was a smart kid. 

My father was whispering to my mother, "I almost lost you once Emery, I won't have that again."

"And I did you lose you!" She exclaimed before lifting her shotgun up. "I can shoot a gun so I'm coming and that's the end of it."