Chapter 21: Broken Bones

For some reason, this song makes this chapter more intense^ or maybe it's just me?

Chapter 21

~ Callum's POV ~

I felt groggy and stiff as my mind woke up from a hazy nightmare. There was a throbbing pain on the back of my head that sent shards of torturous aches to my entire head.

Struggling to open my eyes, I was blinded by the harsh white light and felt my eyes well up from the impact on my pupils. I tried using my arms but they felt numb and lifeless.

Trying not to freak the fuck out, because that's what I wanted to do, I slowly let my eyes adjust to my surroundings.

Silver bars surrounded me as I realized that I was in a cage. It accommodated me enough to lay down with my knees curled up and seemed high enough for me to sit down without breaking my neck.

How thought of them.

My hands though were in handcuffs and chained to the ceiling of the cage and I had no idea how long I've been out but from the lack of blood circulations, they were dead asleep as I just was.

But it wasn't just me, they took June.

Flying up and feeling my hair getting caught through the spaces of the cage, I looked around and felt a rush of relief as I saw June curled up in a ball in a separate cage across the hall from me.

There were cages lined up on both sides of the wide hallway but as far as I can tell, we were the only ones here. Bright fluorescent lightbulbs lined the long gray concrete hallway and there were large silver doors on each end of the hallway. It reminded me of the Crypt.

The only thing I could smell besides my bodily odor was bleach and it burnt my nostrils. Not to mention my arms, back and legs were sore as hell. The most pain was coming from my head of course and I knew it was from when they hit me over the head. I much rather Everette's playful abuse.

I looked over at June at couldn't tell if she was alright but I knew for a fact that these cages and handcuffs were silver. I spent years handling bullets with the same material so I could identify it easily.

"June." I tried to keep my voice low and her head immediately shot up.

Her dress was covered in dirt and I could see bruises on her arms and legs. "Callum, you're awake."

Her eyes were wild and red as if she's been crying but her voice was worse, it was scratchy as if she's been screaming. The red blisters on her feet on arms that touched the silver was indication enough to tell me that was the cause.

"Are you alright?" I knew the answer to that was no, but I had to ask.

"Could be better." She lowered her head and tried to keep her chained up hands still as I noticed her wincing every time she moved.

"Did they... hurt you?" I hoped she knew what I was asking and her eyes welled up with tears and she didn't answer. "Shit. I'm going to kill them," I growled and her eyes snapped up.

"They haven't done anything..." She trailed off and I was confused, "yet."

"June, what do you mean 'yet'?" I questioned slowly as felt the fire brewing within me.

"One of them, he wanted to t-touch me. But when he noticed you still hadn't woken up, he said he'd wait for you to watch." Her voice broke off in desperation and pain from talking with a sore throat.

"Fucking hell." They were some sick bastards and I was going to set their asses on fire. "Do you know where we are? How long we've been here?"

She shook her head, "It's been days but I have no idea how much and I don't know where we are because they knocked me out and strapped these necklaces on us."