Chapter 28: War Is Brewing

Chapter 28

"Have you given my offer any thought?" I asked Otis as we entered the barn. 

Before I could even pay attention to what he was saying, my eyes shifted behind him to where all the hunters gathered. 

And Cal was sitting and speaking with a human.

A female human. The same one who was eyeing him up when we met Otis yesterday.

'Be the bigger person and don't get jealous. He loves you.' I chanted in my head but it barely worked. 

My claws were coming out and I felt the jealousy that Cal must feel towards Finn. Now I got what it felt like and I didn't like it one bit.

Although he was sitting with others, this chick was too close.

"You listening to me kid?" Otis's voice pulled me back to look at him.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I asked as my eyes lingered back to Cal.

"That the deal is off." 

I blinked in confusion as I glared at him, "What? You said-"

"I'm joking, put your canines away. I said I'm still thinking about it and you have yet to help us." He chuckled as he stepped closer, "Also, don't worry about that one. She's my goddaughter and has been crushing on Cain along with every other girl in the pack but he never dated any hunter that I know off, so relax. Not like I'd let him date her anyway." 

Somehow I did feel sort of calmed by that fact. He didn't date hunters, good to know. 

"I'd like you to meet one of my best hunters, I think you'd like here." He said as he called over a girl around eighteen or so. "Everette, meet Elle. She's been training with us since she was a small child and is one of the best hunters our pack has seen to date." 

Well, color me impressed, a female hunter who seemed pretty badass. I like her already.

"It's nice to meet you, Elle." I put my hand out and she surprisingly accepted it but gave my hand a firm shake.

"Likewise, though I have to admit, I'm not a fan of your kind." She muttered.

"I can say the same for the hunters. We've been at war for too long. Don't you agree that it's time to put an end to it?" I gaged her reaction as she nodded her head.

"My family never followed Jake Cain into battle, so I may not be as bitter as the others. However, I still don't trust you, as I'm sure you don't trust us. But I agree, I don't think we're each other's enemies right now and I'd rather kill something that wanted me dead instead of backstabbing an easy target. If you get what I'm saying." She rose a brow at me.

"I understand you very well. And you're right, it's much more satisfying to kill an enemy than someone who's at your back." I got her meaning clearly as we now had each other's backs and attempting to kill the other would be a cowardly move on either of our parts. "Can't wait to see your moves on the field." 

"Tell you what Everette, you teach my people a few of your werewolf tricks and I'll teach you how to dodge a bullet." She smirked. 

"You have yourself a deal." I agreed. 

Otis nodded at me as if in agreement to our discussion before pulling everyone's attention to us. 

"Now that Everette and her pack is here to help us get rid of the rogue wolves in Fairbairn, I thought it would be best to first show her around town and sniff them out. Elle also suggested that we both learn combat from each other, which I think is an excellent idea." Otis said.