Chapter 20: Hypersthene

Chapter 20

"I know it's only been a month since I've met him, but the feeling is indescribable." I gushed to Finn as I felt my cheeks heat up, "He's the best thing that's ever happened in my life."

Finn chuckled, "I'll try not to take offense to that." And he didn't because there was no sign of hurt on his face. "And I think he feels the same way."

"How can you tell?" I asked curiously.

"The way you two drool over each other." He laughed when I squeezed his hands between my palm, "What I mean is, I can it on you two. The way you guys look at each other with heart eyes and have that sickeningly sweet moment that passes between you two. It's hard not to notice and I'm surprised you're unaware."

Have I really missed that?

'Everette, June and Callum-' Pen's voice entered my head through mind link but was cut off as I heard screams of children from outside.

Finn and I were on our feet immediately as we dashed down the steps, 'Pen, what happened?'

'Something's happened, June just mind linked me but was cut off before she could say what. She was at the back of the packhouse, I'm on my way.' Came her reply.

I didn't know what was going on but she said June and Callum. My stomach was in my feet as I pushed through the other pack members that were filtering out the backdoor.

Five kids were standing staring at the forest as tears streamed down their faces. One of the girls approached me as the others stood there quaking with their parents tending to them. 

"A-Alpha," She croaked, "there were rogues." 

We all went on high alert as I nodded for a pack member to get border patrol ready. I bent towards the girl and cupped her cheeks, "Where are they? Is there anyone out in the forest?"

The girl was shaking and took forever to answer me as I looked around the backyard for June or Callum but I didn't see any of them even though their scents lingered in the air. Where the hell were they?

"J-June and the Máni. They went after us and t-the Máni saved me. T-t-they're in the forest with the rogues." She hiccuped. 

Everything slowed down, even my heart felt like it stopped. The only thing I remembered I seem capable of doing was running.

I rushed away from the girl as I took off and shifted. The voices in my head were screaming at me to slow down.

But I couldn't make sense why they'd say that.

Heavy steps followed me as I ran towards the trees and I sniffed the air for Callum. 

Penelope's wolf rushed through the trees as she started running at my side and I felt the tension radiating off her in waves.

'What did June say?'

Her eyes briefly glanced at me, 'She mind linked me and she was panicking. June said that there were rogues and that she and Callum were out here. She just said to save the kids before her link got cut off.'

I growled harshly at what she said and both our running sped up.

My breathing was labored, not because I was running, but because I felt like someone stole the air from me. 

My own personal oxygen tank. 

I tried mind linking June but her link wasn't there. It like a line that was knocked out by a lack of electricity. The line was dead and the silence was like the annoying beeping you heard when you couldn't be connected.