Chapter 15: Men Crying

Chapter 15

"Where's your jacket?" Callum questioned as we exited the car and into the cool atmosphere of the night.

I lifted my eyebrow mockingly, "Werewolf, remember. Where's yours?"

"Walking match stick, remember?" He smirked. 

Rolling my eyes at him but letting a small smile slip onto my face, I lead us through the forest. 

"Feels like you're luring me to my death," Callum said from behind me.

"I might as well be..." I trailed off ominously. 

"Ev," Callum caught my hand and turned me towards him, "promise me you'll let me fight my own battles."

"That's not happening." I scoffed. 

"Everette, I mean it. That's the only way they'll trust me."

"You're skilled in fighting humans and using guns, but they won't want to fight you in human form and you certainly aren't getting a gun," I explained. 

His eyes stayed focus on me as he said, "Just promise you'll let me fight for you as you would for me."

"You'll fight for me?" I asked with a high pitched voice.

"I told you how I feel princess, I didn't lie to you." He stated with certainty. 

"Sure it wasn't a concussion from the rogues hitting you on the head?" I quirked.

The corner of his lips twitched into a smirk for a brief second, "As I said before, the only one who hit my head was you."

"Right." Was the only word my brain could conjure at the moment.

RiGht? Right?! Where art thou grammar? 

He gave me a knowing smirk before I turned back as lead the way to the gathering.

Callum didn't release my hand though. It seemed to have become our thing.

And it was definitely the best feeling I've ever felt. The simplicity of hand-holding wasn't appreciated enough. 

The lights from the clearing shined through the leaves of the shrubbery before us as I took a deep breath, held my head high and exited the trees with Callum by my side.

Right where he belonged.

Hundreds of eyes were on us as we approached.

Some were furious, others were curious, the little ones seemed confused and teens seemed apprehensive.  

I spotted a makeshift stage built on one side of the clearing with my family standing beside it together with Penelope, June, Charlotte and Max. 

My mother's eyes held pride and my father seemed on edge. 

To everyone that glared, I held their stares until they yielded because of my dominance. Which is exactly the boundary I was here to set. 

While they may have accepted me before and never turnt their back on their alpha, Callum's ancestry made me seem as the enemy or as if my female mind couldn't handle multitasking a mate and a pack.

But I was here to prove them wrong. Which they were. 

As we stopped before my parents, I released Callum's hand as he gave me a confused expression. 

"What are you doing?" He asked as his eyes shifted from person to person.

"I need to address them before I introduce you," I explained as I took a step towards the stage but he grabbed my hand.