Chapter 29: Houston, We Have A Problem

Chapter 29

"The only problem is, we don't a clue on how many rogues there are or when they'll show up," I sighed. "What we do know is that they hate my pack and want us gone." 

Jane took a seat on her recliner, I sat on the three-seater with Avery and saved a spot for Cal while Louis and Abel took the love seat, Elle sat in a chair next to them and there was another recliner next to Jane for Otis. 

"Which is why this is more dangerous, considering those filthy things are now in Fairbairn," Jane grumbled before taking a seat and turning to Otis. "Otis, be a dear and bring the tray of snacks from the kitchen, take that boy with you."

She pointed at Cal but didn't acknowledge him as the two guys went off towards the kitchen.

"So..." She drawled and I could already feel the headache coming on, "you had to go choose the son of Jake Cain didn't you."

"Jane, can we not talk about this?" I questioned.

"Actually, let's, this sounds way too interesting. Did your pack try to kill him?" Elle asked with curiosity and way too much excitement. 

"They did," Cal answered as he entered the room with a tray of lemonade, "but Ev protected my ass."

"No foul language in my house," Jane immediately scolded.

"That old lady could make a sailor blush," Aunt Avery whispered in my ear and I couldn't help but snort at that because she's right.

"Jane quit it, we're not here to discuss your feelings for Callum," I said as I grabbed a glass of lemonade and Cal took a seat next to me.

"Assuming I feel anything towards him," She said but I saw the humor sparkling in her eyes.

"Mrs. Fraiser-" Cal started but Otis cut him off with a cough.

"Ms. Blackwood, she isn't married no more."

Jane narrowed her eyes at him, "My husband may be dead Otis, but I still carry his name."

"Why would you? He was a lousy man."

"At least he loved me for me." She shrugged.

And so their banter went back and forth as Abel, Elle and Louis cleaned the snacks off the plate and Aunt Avery seemed amused and overwhelmed.

"Maybe we should sneak out until they settle down?" Cal suggested.

"As much as I want to, I'm afraid Jane might shoot Otis with his own gun if we leave them be." I sighed in frustration.

"We can get ice-cream," He wiggled his eyebrows as he called to my soul with those words.

"Tempting..." I battled with myself internally before my brain won my stomach, "but we can't."

"Fine... but this time you owe me." He nudged me with his elbow.

"Would I have to wear fluffy pink apron?" I smirked at the memory.

"Unfortunately not. If you can't pay for it, you won't get it." He shrugged. 

"Not fun at all," I commented before turning back to Jane and Otis who was in a heated argument but also seemed as if they wanted to pull each other close. "Okay you two, stop it! And Abel quit eating all the cake, I want a slice." 

The room fell in silence and Abel huffed before quickly grabbing another slice and sitting back. 

"Before you say anything else," Callum started, "I just wanted to let you know, Mrs. Fraser, Everette means more to me than you know. I won't ever hurt her, I can promise you that."