Chapter 42: Doodle Me In

Chapter 42

An annoying beeping was like an alarm that had no end.

Wouldn't someone shut that damn thing off already?

Why wasn't I shutting it off?

Oh, wait... right cause I was dying in the packhouse.

Wait? Am I dead?

Is this what death feels like? Just me trapped in my thoughts in a sea of dark oblivion?

I at least thought I'd see Diana, that useless Moon Goddess.

Couldn't she have sacrificed her good hair for my life or something? Geez, these holy people really looked down us commoners huh?

I mean honestly, I'd sacrifice a finger for ice-cream. She was the mother of werewolves, her words not mine, and she couldn't save me? Her own feral kid?

But, if I was dead... did it mean mom...

Fuck. I couldn't save her, could I?

And Callum. Oh God, I can't even imagine the pain he'd be in.

He promised me he'd stay alive and I couldn't even do the same. The pain of knowing I left him haunted me more than I ever thought I would have to feel.

So this must be hell then.

Being trapped with my thoughts and my pain?

"Huh, Satan really knew what he was doing."

"Satan?" I heard a voice mumble in confusion before a loud gasp. "Everette!"

"Shit did I say that aloud?" I asked but I heard another gasp. "Wait? Am I not dead?"

"No!" The feminine voice cried. "You're alive sweetie! You're alive!"

"I am?" I asked in confusion but I still wasn't see anything. Shit was I blind now?

"You're not blind, open your eyes sweetie. Please," she begged.

I nodded... or at least I think I did. My eyelids felt like it was stuck together with gorilla glue as I tried to peer the sucker apart.

Finally getting them open, a bright white light flashed into my pupils and I sealed them shut.

"I saw the light!" I yelled hysterically. "Does it mean I'm dead now? God? Lucifer? Moon Goddess?"

A laugh sounded through a sob and I peeped one eye open again.

"It's neither of them, it's mom," she informed me as my eye adjusted to the room.

"Mom?" I looked at her as excited bubbled within me. When she grinned through her tears, I squealed like a little piggy, "Mom!"

I went to sit up and realized there was one of those oxygen mask things covering my nose.

Heck, am I alive so I don't need that anymore. I grabbed the mask and threw it off me as my mom protested.

"Everette, no you need that-"

"Oh come here and hug me," I pulled her small body towards mine and wrapped her in my arms. "You're alive... we're alive!"

She laughed, "Yes sweetie, we're alive. All thanks to Taelyn, you and Callum."

I pulled back and looked her straight in the eye, "Cal's okay right?"

Even though her happy tears were still flowing, she grinned, "Very much alive and well. He hadn't left your side until I just told him to go grab some coffee."