Chapter 17: He Punched The Wall

Chapter 17

I felt my heart constrict as my eyes fell on Callum's face.

We were currently standing in the forest, just outside of pack territory in the direction that led to Fairbairn. 

After Sam delivered the news, Cal didn't utter one word until we reached the partially mutilated body of a human man.

He was maybe in his thirties. His limbs were bitten off as if he was a ragdoll that was fought over.

And no doubt he was the ragdoll of some mangy rogues whose deaths I plotted as the seconds ticked by. 

Kitara, the pack doctor, was investigating the body before two pack members covered him with a white cloth. 

"How long has he been... gone." I choose my words carefully as I noticed Callum's eyes flickered bright green.

"No more than five hours ago." Kit declared. "Rogue attack, he passed from blood loss and sustained severed limb detachment which disconnected important veins." 

"That's not all," Penelope said as he picked up a gun. "He was a hunter. Silver bullets are in here."

She handed the gun over to a silent Callum who inspected it. "Two bullets were fired."

"Well if he shot any rogues then their bodies would be around, but considering there isn't any, they got away." Penelope mused.

But something else clicked in my head, "He was close to the pack. Too close." As my eyes met Pen's knowing gaze, she knew.

"He knew where to find us." She stated.

As that bit of information settled over us, there was a moment of utter silence.

I noticed Callum opened his mouth to say something but snapped it shut as no words came out and the muscles in his jaw strained. Cal took a deep breath before turning to me.

And he held that look in his eyes.

The chilling emerald eyes stared back at me which mirrored cold, hard gemstones. 

I felt the ice in my veins before he even said a word.

Then he did. He said words I didn't want to hear but it was the startling reality.

"I told you this would happen." He chewed out.

"Cal-"

"Didn't I tell you that they'd come looking for me, Everette? Didn't I warn you that this was what I was trying to prevent?" He asked as his eyes searched mine as if I held the answer.

I did know the answer. It was exactly what he said. 

He did tell me.

And we didn't believe him.

I didn't believe him.

But what do I say to that? He was right? I was sorry? It didn't seem like any of those words could ease the weight of the situation.

No words can.

I don't think my throat has ever constricted before, but right now it was. Not because of the human body that laid before us or the abnormal situation with the rogues. 

But because Callum stared at me like I really was the beast he had assumed I was a week ago.

"We'll give him a proper burial." That was the only words that made sense for me to say.

Callum immediately shook his head, "No, he should be buried near his family."

"You know we can't do that," I said gently, almost afraid of the fragility of the situation.