Chapter 24: The 'L' Word

Chapter 24

The last three days were way too stressful. I spend as much time as possible questioning everyone but of course, no one knew a thing about the rogues. I couldn't exactly abuse my alpha command power either because that would just make everyone lose their trust in me. 

And I had to show them that I trusted them. I do trust them, but if it was someone in the pack, well that person wouldn't live to see another day. 

What I couldn't do was reveal my plans to the pack of where my adventure is headed. 

Only a select few knew, and by that, I meant my family, my Beta, Gamma, and their respective mates. And Finn since he was tagging along... we have yet to see how that goes with being in Cal's territory 

To the pack, I was heading back north to the place we found Cal and June to find some clues. They didn't like the idea but thought it made sense. 

Little did they know, I was heading west and hopefully be returning with hunters. Okay so bringing the hunters may land me in hot water but what's fun in doing things the easy way right?

Take my conversation with my dad, for example, that was by no means easy. 

~ The day before ~

"What?" I glared at my laughing father who sat across from me at the dining table in my parents' house. "Dad, why are you laughing?"

He managed to calm himself down for a minute when my mom elbowed him, "Sorry kiddo, I just thought you said you were going to meet the humans. Cracked me up."

I could tell he was going to laugh again but from my serious expression, he took on a solemn front, "You're joking."

"I don't think she is honey." My mom clarified as she stared at me with wide eyes. 

The sound of my father's chair scrapping back sounded like nails on a chalkboard as he stood up from his chair.

Ugh, here we go again with his drama...

"That's it, she's completely lost her mind." My dad said throwing his hands up in the air as Callum snickered beside me.

I elbowed him in his side, harshly, seeing as he's all healed up and in almost perfect condition. 

"What? He's right." His eyes held humor and when I gave him my death glare, he sobered up. 

Good boyfriend.

I turned back to my dad, "You can say whatever you want, father, but it's not going to stop me. I only told you as a courtesy seeing as you were the Alpha and you're my dad. But don't think for a second you can change my mind." 

My mom cleared her throat and placed her hand on my dad's arm as she pulled him back to his seat.

"I think it's the best idea we've got." Her hand squeezed my dad's arm when he stared at her in shock. "I'm not saying it's a good idea, because it isn't."

The meaningful look she gave me didn't go above my head. It's a dangerous mission, with the possibility of getting extremely hurt. That I knew for sure.

"She could-"

"Get hurt." My mom cut my dad off. "She knows, but it's something that should have been done years ago if not while we were in charge. Thane, we probably didn't have the same opportunity as Ev and Callum does but he's a part of them and this hatred between our kinds has gone on far too long. I would like to see an end to it before it destroys us farther than it already has." 

Sighing he closed his eyes and I sent my mom a thankful smile. 

"It's hard to let go." My dad whispered. "After what happened and after nearly losing you and your mother, it's hard for me to be okay with letting you there without at least a hundred wolves to protect you."