(27)

Shave

Kenzie's pov

I am gimping into my appointment with Skylar. Colby and Jake are sitting in Colby's car. I told them they weren't allowed to come in. I've been in a cast for close to two months now and I haven't been able to shave so I know my leg has become a forest.

I gimp to the receptionist.

"Hello ma'am." She smiles sliding the little glass window open.

"Mackenzie Willow." I smile and she types on her computer.

"Okay here can you fill these papers out. They are just asking how you've been feeling and what medicine you've been taking." She smiles handing me clipboard and pen. I turn and hand it off to Sky and I gimp to a set of seats.

Skylar passes the clipboard over to me and I fill out all the information they asked for. We wait for a while and Sky and I just scroll through our phones. I watch people come in and sit in the waiting room just like we are.

"There." I here Jake whisper and then see him and Colby walking over to the seats in front of us.

"What are you two doing?" I question looking between the two idiots.

"We got bored." Colby smiles and sits down in front of me and takes the clipboard away reading what I wrote down. Nodding after every line.

"Mackenzie." A lady holds open the door and looks at me. I stand up with the help of Colby, who insisted on helping me.

Sky hands the lady the clipboard and pen when we get next to her. And I continue through the door and towards the rooms.

"Hello Mackenzie so today we are removing your third cast." She reads over the papers as we walk. "Room 5." She points as we get closer. The room was bigger then the other rooms I've been in.

"Okay so we are just going to be cutting the cast off with a saw like we usually do. This saw does not have blades running on it. It uses vibrations to crack the outside of the cast. Alright Remember?" She asks as i jump up on the chair and get comfortable. Colby and Jake are sitting in the two chairs while Sky is leaning against the chair I am in.

"Okay I remember." I smile and look around at everything in the room. Another nurse walks in and smiles. Then looks at the nurse and starts to talk.

"Check everything and when the cast is off. Poke your head out and Moritz will come check it out for." Both nurses nod and my nurse turns to me holding the little saw.

"Are you ready?" She looked at me and I nod. She turns the saw on and pushes it against the top part of my cast and makes her way down my leg. She gets to the bottom and then it pops and she looks up at me with a thumb up.

I nod and she quickly goes to the other side and cuts down the cast again. When the bottom pops again she shuts the saw off and puts it on a counter.

"Are you alright?" She runs her hand over the cast. I nod and watch her pop the 'top' of the cast off and almost peels it off. Parts of the sock get stuck so she cuts it with scissors and then pull the top of the cast fully off.

"Okay pick your foot up please." I do as I'm ask and she pulls the bottom off. "Okay so I'm going to do a couple little tests then I will call for the doctor." She brings out a little needle string thing and pokes my toes.

"Can you feel this?" She pokes all my toes.

"Yes." I nod and then she runs it down the bottom of my foot.

"This?" She looks at me.

"Kind of. It tickles but only for a second." She nods and then moves to my knee.

"Relax okay." She pulls my legs off the side of the chair and starts to lift my knee and bending it.

"Does any of this hurt?" I shake my head and she then begins to put pressure on parts of my leg. "Tell me when there's pain."

She pushed near my knee and I was fine and she started to make her way down my leg and I winced and she stopped.

"Okay I am going to get Moritz." She smiles and leaves the room. Colby and Jake get up and looks at my leg.

"Mack you need to shave." Jake laughs and then goes to sit back down. Colby laughs and goes back to sit down. The door opens and both my doctor and nurse walk in.

"Well Hello Mackenzie. I see you have got the cast off." He pulls my leg off the chair and starts to mess with my ankle and my lower leg.

"Okay so everything is good. You are going to be in pain when there's pressure. But that is only going to last for a little bit. We are going to put you in a air cast walking boot. With this you are allowed to walk but if at anytime you feel uncomfortable go back to the crutches and keep it up." He signs a couple papers while he talks. "I think you are right on schedule and doing good. I plan to have you back in a couple weeks to see how everything is going and whenever you are ready you can start Physical therapy. I suggest going to CPTA. It's in Sacramento but it's a good place to start." He puts his hand out and I shake it. "I will see you in a couple weeks. Keep doing what you are doing." He looks over at the boys. "Keep taking care of her."

"Yes sir." Colby nods and looks at me with a small smile.

"Okay let's get you fitted for this air cast and for everything we need to get. What size shoe do you wear?" She smiles.

"7 and a half or 8." I look at my toes and try to move them. No movement. I frown and look down.

"Okay here lets see if this fits." She pulls a boot out and starts to unwrap it. "Okay this is how you put it on and Velcro it." She slides a long white sock onto my leg and then picks my foot up sliding the boot on. She places the top part of the boot on to my leg and then starts to Velcro everything and she looks up when she's done.

"Are you comfortable?" I stand up and shift between my feet.

"Yes I feel comfortable." Colby hands me my crutches and the nurse watches me.

"Okay stop at the front desk to get your next appointment. We will call up to CPTA and let them know you are going to be joining them." The nurse smiles and pulls out a tablet and types in information. The four of us make our way out of the room.

We stop at the counter and get my appointments scheduled. Then make our way to Colby's car. I get in the back and Sky lays down on my lap. Colby starts his car and pulls out of the chair place and onto the road.

Colby slips his hand between the seat and door and wiggles his fingers. I grab his hand and we sit like that all the way back to the trap house.