💙 Son of a Preacher man

A little one shot I've wanted to write for a while. Alternate universe like most of my story's. This is based on the song "Son of a Preacher Man." Hope you like it.

Remember no offence meant to the boys or reference to their own beliefs.

Nothing in this is intentionally meant to bash religion so if I offend you I do apologise, please do not complain to me about it though.

Son of a Preacher Man

Billy Ray was a preacher's son
And when his daddy would visit he'd come along
When they gathered around and started talkin'
That's when Billy would take me walkin'
Out through the back yard we'd go walkin'
Then he'd look into my eyes
Lord knows, to my surprise

It was my favourite day of the week. I never used to want to work at the sweet shop early on a Sunday morning but it soon became the time I looked forward to the most, purely because the shop was opposite the local church.

I wasn't religious and had no wish to be, so I guess you're wondering why I was so excited to look at an old building for 6 hours on a Sunday morning? - When a boy my age should have been out doing something more with my day, like lying in bed till 12, then having lunch and going back to bed again?

Well the reason had just entered the shop. Declan Donnelly. The preachers son. He was slightly shorter than me, with a feminine figure, pale skin, sandy brown hair and mesmerising green eyes. He wore he's best Sunday shirt crisp, white, with a pink tie and a pair of cream dress trousers that fitted in a way that should not have been legal in this country.

Every Sunday he'd be sent into the shop by his father and buy some sweets for the service. We'd talked a few times, he was the towns golden-boy, every mother's ideal son and every girls dream but he was so kind-hearted you'd think he didn't know about all the attention he got.

My eyes flickered away and my cheeks flushed red bashfully when our eyes met as he caught me staring. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him smiling and making his way towards me. My heart raced and I looked up to return the smile, shyly.

"Hey."

"Hey, how are you?" I replied, trying to be casual, like how a guy would normally talk to another guy but my mouth was suddenly dry and my mind was a hectic mess.

"Better now I'm here." I almost choked on the air I was inhaling shakily at his flirtatious reply. My mind froze as I blushed and stuttered out my next words.

"Busy... uh... b-busy service t-today?"

"Aye... it is actually, it's the summer weather. I like what you've done with your hair by the way, it's nice gelled up."

I didn't think I could blush anymore... I felt the heat spreading through my face to the tips of my ears and averted my gaze. "I-I like you're tie, it's cute."

Cute!!? Seriously what is wrong with you! Not cool man not cool.

He giggled and played with said bright pink tie. "Thanks... can I take these please?"

He hands me a bag of sweets which I weigh up and closed properly.

"£1.50 please."

"There's atleast £5 worth of sweets there Anthony." He said with a disapproving look.

"Aye, don't tell anyone." I winked handing him the sweets as he handed me the change.

"Meet me after the service." He turned away at my gobsmacked expression, swaying his hips exaggeratedly. He looked over his shoulder, just before he left the shop, to give me a sweet and innocent smile.