Chapter 8: Challenge: Which is the Strongest Dojutsu?

"Grandma Tsunade!" Naruto was vaguely aware the Hokage's normal aides where not there to stop him as he burst through the door to her office. In his left hand he held a number of sheets of paper.

"Ah, good," the Sannin said, then she triggered her radio, and announced, "Naruto is here, cancel the search."

The blond Genin's eyes narrowed at that, and he suddenly realized he was not the only one in Tsunade's office.

"Hinata, Sakura, Bushy Brow," he greeted his friends, "Are you here because of this too?"

He waved the fliers towards them. He was surprised by their grim faces.

"We have all seen it," the Hokage lifted a pristine flier and began reading, "Dojutsu Tournament. Come to Foot-hill Town and determine who commands the strongest eyes. Winner will gain the title of Strongest Dojutsu and a cash prize. Entry fee waved for the bearers of any of the legendary Kekkei Genkai Dojutsu."

She put down the leaflet and looked at Naruto knowingly.

"You want to go because you expect Sasuke to be there," she informed him.

"Of course."

"Can you give me one reason why?" she challenged him, but the Genin grinned as though he were expecting this.

"I can give you two. Sasuke has always been obsessed with proving he is the strongest, especially when challenged. A tournament to fight against the strongest users of Dojutsu will be an irresistible draw."

"And second, he will be hoping Itachi will be there. He knows I will want to come to the tournament to find him, and so his brother will show up to find me."

"So you want to go because Sasuke will be there because Itachi will be there because you will be there?" Sakura shook her head, "That's circular logic, Naruto."

"Huh?"

"She means since there is neither beginning nor end, the argument holds no weight," Lee explained.

"It was good reasoning, for you anyway," the Hokage slapped him with a backhanded compliment, "But it is too dangerous. I am sending a pair of Jonin to watch this tournament."

"However, I do have another, related task for you," she interrupted when he start to protest.

"Is that why the rest of you are here?" Naruto looked around at his peers. Sakura nodded, while Hinata fidgeted.

"What's up?" he looked back at their leader.

"Neji," Lee's statement was almost a growl.

"Yeah, he'd want to be in this almost as much as Sasuke." The fox-faced ninja noted, "So?"

"So he already left," Hinata whispered.

"Without permission," Tsunade said, "That's why you four are going to bring him back."

"Why us?"

"You, Hinata, and Lee have the best chance of reasoning with Neji. Sakura will be your medical-nin, but she will also be in charge."

"We should get going then," Naruto started to move, but the Sannin stopped him.

"Naruto," she caught his eye, and stared at him intently, "You are going to bring back Neji. You are not to go to Foot-hill Town, unless Neji is already there. You are not to get involved with this tournament, or fight unless you absolutely have to defend yourself. Do I make myself clear?"

"Sure, Grandma Tsunade," Naruto grinned sheepishly. Lee and Hinata smiled slightly at him, and Sakura just shook her head.

"We should go," Sakura re-emphasized, "We can't let Neji get further ahead."