Chapter 27: The Truth in Silence

"Lord Kazekage," another voice called to him softly, just after Naruto and Hinata disappeared. Gaara recognized the Hokage's caretaker, and raised his hand to stop his troop.

"Thank goodness I found you," Shizune told them as she jogged over, "The Hokage needs to talk to you, and Lord Kankuro and Lady Temari right away."

"Hear that," the puppet user said, "Lord Kankuro."

Temari rolled her eyes at her younger brother.

"Can this wait until morning?" the blond Kunoichi yawned. But medical Jonin shook her head.

"She said to tell you this is an X-Rank situation."

Gaara raised an eyebrow, and then addressed his confused siblings.

"Take the others to our hotel, and join us as quickly as you can," he instructed them, then asked of Shizune, "We will be at your headquarters, correct?"

She nodded.

"Then lets go," he began to move, but she interrupted him.

"I found you by accident. I am here to bring back someone else," she countered regretfully, "Although if Lady Tsunade is correct, she should be here shortly."

Before she finished the statement, a young couple emerged from the Golden Shoe. The woman had waist length brown hair and dark, and almost navy blue eyes. The man was slightly taller with short blond hair and green eyes. The man jumped slightly when he saw the crowd in the street, but his girl just pulled him along.

"Anko Mitarashi," Shizune said, and the woman froze. Then she took another step.

"Give it up, Anko," the dark eyed doctor smirked, "I know it's you. The Hokage wants to see you, right now."

"Damn it," the serpentine shinobi dismissed her jutsu. Her normal appearance returned, though her red and purple gown remained, "Come on, Shizune."

"No Anko, now," the ranking Jonin said sharply.

"Alright," she groused, then whispered to her companion, "Sorry."

"You coming with us, dusty?" she asked Gaara. Though most of the Sand Ninja were shocked by her impertinence, the Kazekage was amused. He nodded.

"Then hurry up," Anko ordered, "And maybe I can get back before he falls asleep."

When they reached Konoha Ninja Ops, Shizune did not lead them up to the Hokage's office. Instead she led them down, underground. Three floors beneath the earth, they followed her into a small, darkened room. The first thing they noticed, before their eyes adjusted, was the large two-way mirror, and the four lit computer monitors. After they became accustomed to their dim surroundings, the Kazekage and Anko realized they were not alone. The Hokage and Kakashi Hatake were waiting for them.

Anko looked through the glass, curious as to what was going on. In the stark room on the other side were Ibiki Morino, and a young man she did not recognize. Probably eighteen or nineteen years old, he was wearing typical, if somewhat shabby ninja clothes, and a headband she could not quite make out due to the glare. His hands were in ninja manacles, and her wrists chained to the chair. Numerous ninja scrolls were wrapped around his arms and chest, connected to laptops. The whole setup was in the middle of an advanced Genjutsu seal.

"Why have you summoned me here?" Gaara asked. The minor rise in his normally flat voice indicated his intrigue.

"I'm not going to say," Tsunade told him. Anko started to protest but the Sannin cut her off.

"I don't want to color your opinions before you hear this. And I think we should wait for the Kazekage's advisors.

Both of the newcomers accepted this, Gaara graciously and Anko not so much. Shizune excused herself to wait for the other Sand Siblings.