Chapter 19: C-Rank Mission, S-Rank Enemy

"Hey, Kakashi-sensei!" Naruto shouted as he ran up to the gate, "Are you coming with me?"

"Good morning, Naruto," the silver-haired Jonin greeted his student, "No, I've got teaching duties today. Lady Tsunade is busy, so she asked me to relay the mission to your team."

"Team?" Naruto asked. Then he looked past the Copy-Ninja, and waved.

"Hey old man! Long time no see," Naruto greeted the familiar merchant. The trader set down the cart, and shook Naruto's hand.

"Well, I kept askin' for ya," the client explained, "But first you were always busy, and then you were on some trainin' mission. I guess that means you probably haven't gotten rusty."

"Nope," Naruto grinned confidently, "I'm stronger than ever."

"Great. Ya ready to go, kid?"

"Actually, we are still waiting for the two other team members," the Jonin interrupted.

"Two more?" the merchant was surprised.

"Well, there's been a lot bandit activity in the area," Kakashi offered, "And given both the importance and value of the cargo, the Hokage decided better safe than sorry."

"Naruto, Sakura, and Hinata?" Kakashi asked, looking at the folio, "Naruto used to handle transport missions like this solo."

"That was before the Akatsuki were actively seeking him. But I can't send a Jonin on this mission without arousing suspicion. Sakura and Hinata are both briefed on the danger of the Akatsuki."

After Hinata had come to her to discuss the Nine-tailed Fox Demon, the Hokage had told the girl about the rogues pursuing the spirit.

"So is Sai, and he would be better protection," Kakashi countered.

"Maybe, but he wouldn't defend Naruto as fiercely. Besides, there is another reason," the leader of the Hidden Leaf told him, "There has been a... tension... between Hinata and Sakura lately."

"And you're hoping by putting them together, they will work it out."

Tsunade nodded.

"Sakura?" Naruto was surprised when his teammate walked up, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm on this mission with you," she told his, despairing obviously at his denseness.

"And so is she," Sakura hiked her thumb over her shoulder, her annoyance growing. Behind her Hinata was jogging to catch up. Naruto waved to the kunoichi, who smiled broadly.

"Good morning, Hinata," he greeted her, "You're on this mission too?"

"Yes," she nodded, "Lady Tsunade asked me to help guard this shipment."

"So, what is it this time, old man?" Naruto asked, "Oil? Art?"

"Medicine," he answered, "A village in the south of the Land of Fire had its water supply contaminated. So we are bringing them relief supplies."

"Shizune is already at the village," Kakashi told them, "And she was able to clean up the river. But she needs this medicine to treat those already infected."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Naruto jumped into place behind the pull bar of the cart. Hinata took up position by the left wheel, and Sakura by the right. The merchant walked by the front of the cart, next to Naruto.

After a few hours of walking in silence, the merchant moved closer to Naruto, and whispered, "So which one of them is your girlfriend?"

"What?" Naruto was surprised by the question.