Chapter 20: Naruto's Weapon

"Hinata, help me get this ice off him," Sakura shouted, kneeling next to Naruto. The other Kunoichi nodded. She formed her own Rasengan, and began to scour the frozen water around Naruto's right leg and arm. Haruno instead shattered the ice with enhanced strength. Working together, they quickly released him.

"Take off his jacket," the medical expert instructed. She noticed something odd about the way his coat was resting, as she struggled with the zipper. When they removed the jacket, they recognized the remains of a familiar box, resting over his heart. Hinata gently removed the splintered wood, blood soaked orange velvet, and the shards of the two destroyed kunai. She placed the wreckage on his coat.

"The cut isn't that deep," Sakura mused out loud, "But it did nick his heart and partial cut through his third rib. The slice in his heart is already starting to heal because of his regeneration, but it might not be enough. He's lost a lot of blood, from all these cuts."

She reached into her pouch without looking away. She handed Hinata two small pills.

"Make him swallow these." The medical-nin placed her left hand over the chest wound, and her right over the slash that trailed down most of his right bicep. Sakura channeled her chakra, starting to repair the damage. Hinata place the plasma pills in Naruto's mouth, and gently rubbed his throat to make him swallow. After he took in the medicine, and knowing there was nothing else she could do, the quiet girl moved over to their client, who was sitting up with a groan.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"Uuuhhh," he grimaced, feeling the lump forming behind his left ear, "I've had worse. How's Naruto?"

"Sakura is working on him," Hinata carefully maintained her composure, "He is tough, and Sakura is a skilled healer."

As if he heard her, Naruto suddenly sat up. Sakura almost fell back from his sudden movement. Despite the interruption of his teammate's jutsu, the wound on Naruto's chest continued to close.

"Wha' happened?" Naruto asked groggily.

"You tell us," Sakura snapped, going back to work on his other injuries, "You're the one who almost got killed."

"She said she was the 'Reaper of Ninja' and that she was gonna kill all shinobi," Naruto responded as his head cleared. Then he recognized something, and put his hand to his uncovered forehead.

"She took my headband! She's gonna make it part of her armor."

"Her armor?" Hinata's question echoed Sakura's confusion.

"Yeah, she had armor made out of a bunch of headbands. Each one had one, two, or three 'X'es carved into it. Now she's gonna add mine. I gotta get it back."

Naruto jumped to his feet, but he was standing, he started to weave slightly. Sakura pulled him back down, and none to gently.

"Oh no you don't. You just got stabbed in the heart. You're not in any shape to go chasing after her." Sakura finished treating him, and went to see to the merchant.

"My heart. Yeah, I summoned my special kunai to block that. Where are they?"

"I'm sorry, Naruto," Hinata carried over his jacket, with the remains of her and Sakura's gifts, "If it's any consolation, they probably saved you."

She set it in front of him. As Naruto looked at the broken weapons, his face blackened with anger and sadness.

"I think we should get back on the road," Hinata suggested, "Try to reach the village as soon as we can."