Chapter 53: Kunoichi Sleepover

"I'm sorry if this sounds callous, but what does this mean for me?" Temari asked, after hearing the whole story.

"In the long run, little," Tsunade informed her, "Your other tasks will be as we discussed. And once we have our new agent in the Akatsuki ranks, you will take over for Jiraiya as primary contact. Then you be able to relay any information to both the Kazekage and myself. You'll just have a little more free time until the infiltrator is in place."

The leader of the Hidden Leaf paused, and looked away.

"Are you thinking that you should have sent me this time?" the Sand Jonin's voice betrayed she had been considering the same.

"Maybe, a little," the Hokage conceded, "Orochimaru beat Jiraiya and Itachi fairly easily, but part of that was his distraction. If you had been there, you wouldn't have been weighed down by the emotional pressure, and you might have kept them focused."

"Or you might have been killed alongside Itachi," the medical Sannin sighed, "It's easy to second guess, but difficult to know what would have happened."

"If there is nothing else," Temari started again after a moment of reflection, "I have an appointment."

"Another date with our cynical genius?" Tsunade tried to take comfort in knowing that life went on, despite the latest tragedy.

"No, something else," the younger blonde answered evasively, "Good night, Lady Hokage."

The Sand 'hostage' bowed slightly, and then vanished from the room.

It had been six days since the Jonin Council had been informed of Sasuke's 'death' and Orochimaru's resurrection, and by now, most of the village knew. However, Itachi's role had only been revealed only to Team Kakashi, the clan leaders, and finally Temari; and they had been sworn to secrecy. Though she wished she could reveal the last Uchiha for the hero he had been, Tsunade understood the tactical advantage in keeping what they knew hidden. By the dawn of the third day, the irrepressible Naruto Uzumaki was back to his normal spirits, more or less. And the day after, Kakashi Hatake finally snuck out of Yugao Uzuki's apartment, also on the road to emotional recovery.

But Sakura Haruno seemed to be hit harder than her male teammates. Ino had visited her friend each day, and grew ever more concerned. She heard from Sakura's mother that Naruto had been over twice, Kakashi once, and one day Hinata, Tenten, and Moegi had popped in together. And none of them had been able to dislodge the young woman from her room. Sakura had even refused to see Naruto both times he had dropped by. Ino had wracked her brains for a way to help break the pink-haired medic out of her funk, and finally had come up with a plan

When the shinobi mentalist entered her friend's room, Sakura was sitting on her bed, with her knees pulled up to her chest. Sakura's hair was unkempt, and her flannel nightgown had fallen off her left shoulder. Ino found the effect oddly enticing, and briefly considered another way to try to help Sakura's mood. But she dismissed the idea, even if Sakura might have been interested; she could not do that to Choji.

"Get up," she ordered. Sakura raised her eyes to meet Ino's with a look of exhausted confusion.

"What?"

"Get up," Yamanaka barked again, trying her best to imitate her new sensei, "We have to get you showered and dressed, now."

She grabbed Sakura's hand, and tugged her up. Even though Sakura had the superior strength, she did nothing to resist, and Ino dragged her to her feet. The blonde gently pushed the pink-haired girl into her bathroom.

"I trust I don't have to help you shower?" Ino said mockingly, and for the first time, a glimmer of emotion passed through Sakura's eyes, annoyance.