Chapter 21: Round 2: Naruto Vs. the Reaper

With Naruto setting the pace, instead of their aging client, they made to last leg of their journey in four hours instead of the expected nine. The town was a small farming community; a tavern & inn, a general store, and a few houses. As the quartet raced passed the chicken pen the marked the edge of the village, more than a few heads turned to look at them, surprised and yet hopeful.

"Good, you guys made it," Shizune greeted them eagerly as she exited the inn, "And you're early. Sakura, I'll need you to help me with the treatments. Hinata, you can run crowd control. And Naruto..."

"Grab something to eat and take a nap," Sakura interrupted. The Jonin doctor turned her attention back to her junior, surprised. But the Chunin shot her look that said she would explain later, and Shizune let it pass.

"Ok, then Hinata, would you help unload the supplies?" Tsunade's first apprentice altered her plan slightly.

"Naruto, I have the room on the second floor. Feel free to use it," Shizune offered, as the healthy villagers started to swarm around the cart. The healer started to direct them, putting them to work so they wouldn't interfere.

A few hours later, Shizune slid silently into the room, to check on her self-appointed younger brother. But her stealth was unnecessary; Naruto was not sleeping. He was sitting in the room's only chair, staring out the window, pensive.

"You are supposed to be resting," she admonished gently.

"Oh, hi, Shizune-neesan," he said, turning to look at her. As he did, she noticed his staff-blade resting across his knees.

"I couldn't sleep," he added.

"You look worried, Naruto," she offered, "That isn't like you."

"Yeah, well," he broke off, thinking again, "That Reaper woman beat me pretty thoroughly last time. I'm not sure I can back my headband, even with Kitsune."

"Why go to the risk, then?" she asked, "Go back to the Konohagakure, and let the Hokage send a team of Jonin after this killer. You can get another headband."

"Not like that," he countered, "Maybe you already know this, but the Fourth Hokage used to retire his headbands after major turning points in his life. After each new ninja rank, and a couple after major battles. That one he gave to the old pervert after he made Jonin. When the headband Iruka-sensei gave me fell apart, Master Jiraiya entrusted this one to me. He said the Fourth would have wanted me to have it, both for mastering the Rasengan, and to make up for what he... did to me."

'That is not the only reason Minato Namikaze would want you to wear his Leaf,' Shizune thought, but did not say. Instead she suggested, "Then tell me about the fight. Maybe I can help you think of something."

Naruto nodded. He took a deep breath, and then relayed the details of the battle. Shizune listened carefully, her face slowly reflecting a growing concern.

"This is troubling," the experienced Kunoichi offered, "The fact that she was stronger and faster could be a matter of chakra expenditure. You know the technique, but do not use it very much, correct?"

He nodded, not sure what was 'troubling', other than how he was defeated.

"But you said she used eight jutsu without hand signs..."

"Wait, I thought it was nine," he interrupted.

"No, the Negative Chakra Jutsu is like your Rasengan, it doesn't use hand signs to begin with," she explained, "but I'll get into that later."

"OK, then seven. So what?"

"It is very difficult to use a jutsu without the proper seals," Shizune concealed her amusement. Naruto could master expert level jutsu faster than any shinobi she had even known, but could never seem to remember the basics of the ninja arts.