Chapter 10: Internal Struggle

The last Uchiha quickly signed, and spit out a stream of fire. Without the final, vocal seal, the Fireball Jutsu was not at full power, but was still enough to blow away the shuriken and send a mass of flames at Naruto. The blond shinobi countered by summoning a Rasengan, deflecting the attack away from both himself and Hinata. And in return for his kindness, Hinata charged him. He recognized her stance of the Eight Trigrams Holy Cyclone, the improved version of the Heavenly Spin that she had devised during their training. The Holy Cyclone could neutralize the Rasengan almost every time, and in many cases, survive the encounter. It was also larger and more damaging than the Heavenly Spin. But Naruto had a theory he had yet to test.

"Rasengan," he exclaimed, creating a second sphere in left fist. As the deep purple energy dome sprang forth from Hinata, he thrust both of his spiraling spheres forward. Though the phrase 'harmonic dissonance" may have been way over Naruto's head, he understand the principal at a very basic level. The two globes both shuddered when they struck Hinata's barrier, but ultimately won out. The Holy Cyclone tore apart like paper, and the unsuspecting blood slave was knocked to her knees. Naruto did not press his advantage, instead keeping one Rasengan trained on each opponent.

"Hinata, please stop," Naruto begged, "I don't want to fight you."

Sasuke aimed a punch at Naruto's head, but Naruto swung up his left hand and the twice traitor had the hold his attack to avoid losing his hand.

"Hinata, I know you are stronger than this. You don't want to hurt me," he pleaded with her. In the middle of lifting her leg for a kick, she paused, and replaced her foot. A look of confusion flitted across her face. Then her visage emptied again, and she crafted her own Rasengan to counter his.

'She's still in there,' Naruto thought, 'just like how Neji reacted when Doraku said Hinata is stronger.'

"You know that won't work," he told he gently, "My Rasengan is still stronger than yours, and you are still limited to one at a time. I think you are trying not to hurt me."

He reinforced the sphere in his right hand, and brushed his Rasengan to hers, destroying it. Sasuke jabbed with the Chidori, but like the previous night, his movements were off. Naruto wondered if it was a side effect of the blood control, or if his rival was injured. He elbowed the Sound Ninja's ribs, forcing him back, while the Leaf Ninja continued to focus on the Kunoichi.

Doraku again ordered them to kill Naruto, this time with a harsh edge. Thought he could hear Sasuke and Hinata's thoughts such as they were, and see via the Kariname Jutsu, he could not hear Naruto, and thus could not determine what jutsu the boy was using to disable Hinata. As the demon had suspected, the Genin was loath to harm the girl. Obviously, he knew another way to disable the Byakugan user, and the vampire wanted to know what technique it was.

Hinata slowed again, her lips trembling. Always proactive, Naruto pushed his advantage.

"These last few months have been the best of my life," he informed her honestly, "Training with you, getting to know you, growing closer to you."

She gulped and took a step away. She activated Tsunade's attack, and lightning surrounded her hands. Naruto sent a clone to keep Sasuke busy, and continued to talk to Hinata while carefully avoiding her strikes.

"You know me better than anyone else. And I won't lose you," Naruto dropped the Rasengan, and knocked her hands away. He knew he was gambling with his life, even as he stepped in close and put his arms around her.

"I trust you, Hinata," he whispered into her ear, as he hugged her tightly. He waited for her to touch him, disabling his nervous system.

Doraku swore elegantly. Naruto had managed to knock out Hinata. After all, if she were dead she would just become one of his zombies. And without the Byakugan user, he could not see what was happening.