Chapter 82: Escaping Daybreak

"Naruto!" Hinata cried out as her boyfriend was drilled to the earth.  She looked back at Kiba sternly, almost threateningly. He met her glare  with his own. All of the other discussions paused to observe the  spectacle.

"What?" the dog trainer growled smugly, "I warned you I  was going to punch him in the face next time I saw him. That's what the  punk gets for lying to us all these years."

"Does this mean we're even?" Naruto asked, aggressively amused.

The  question caught Kiba off guard, and he considered it for a moment. Then  he shook his head, stating, "Probably not. I guess that depends on what  happens with Shino's leg."

"Kakashi-sensei mentioned that,"  Naruto glanced over to where Sakura was treating Hinata's other former  teammate, with Iruka's help and Sasame hovering close by, "What  happened?"

"The Three-Tails crushed it," Inuzuka stated angrily.

"The Three-Tails?" Naruto gaped at him. Hinata's expression changed to one of sad introspection.

"I thought that might be the case," the pale-eyed woman said softly, "Is everyone else alright?"

"Yeah," Kiba calmed slightly at her mood, "Thanks to Kakashi's group, and Kaede."

"That  must mean Shikamaru's group fought the One-Tails," she decided. Naruto  turned his attention to his beloved; based on Madara's claim, he was  forced to agree. Then he looked around, noticing the emaciated Choji  weakly eating the sandwich Ino was feeding him. After taking in the  whole group, Uzumaki realized something.

"Where's Kankuro?" he asked Hinata and Kiba somewhat loudly, "Sakura said he came with you guys."

The  two were startled by the question, and both began to look for the  puppeteer. Gaara apparently heard them; he broke away from the other  commanders, stepping past Kakashi and Kaede to reach Naruto.

"My  brother is dead," he announced without preamble, "As Hinata speculated,  his team fought Shukaku. He sacrificed himself to save Temari,  Shikamaru, and Ino."

Hinata brought her hands up to her face as  tears filled her eyes. Kiba cursed quietly and turned away. Naruto  sighed deeply with a depressed visage, his blue orbs also moist.

"I'm sorry, Gaara," Uzumaki said gently, "It's all my fault."

Kiba's face said that he agreed, but Gaara shook his head with a firm expression that was his own version of anger.

"I accept your condolences, and offer my own in return," the Kazekage said, "But I do not accept your claim of responsibility."

"But..." Naruto started to protest; however, Gaara cut him off.

"We  are shinobi. Whenever we go on a mission, there is always a chance of  death," the Wind Shadow lectured him, "And make no mistake, this was for  my people an official mission, to rescue an ally of the Hidden Sand,  and the prevent our enemies from taking the power sealed within him.  Kankuro may have volunteered for the advanced team due to your  friendship, and because he felt indebted to you, but it was still his  job, and my decision to send him."

"Also," Gaara's face and tone  lightened, "Those responsible have been punished. Shukaku is sealed away  once more, and Shima is dead. Though I could not hurt Pein or Madara  directly, I have killed Deidara and taken his ring, which is a start."

"Madara got his," Naruto was grim yet proud, "I killed him."

Again, all discussion amongst the other parties ceased as they turned to stare openly at the blonde teen.