Chapter 16: From the Mist: Ally or Enemy?

Nyoko had returned to find both her door and window wide open. Understandably shaken, she asked Tenten to stay the night with her, and the slender kunoichi complied. Lee stood watch outside her door at Tenten's request.

The remaining Konoha shinobi had gathered in the men's room with their prisoner. The all stood around the attractive teen, who sat with her legs folded under her, and her arms tied behind her at both the wrist and the thumb. She appeared unconcerned that she by her capture.

"Just who the heck are you?" Naruto demanded, "And why were you in Nyoko's room?"

The captured Kunoichi smiled gently at him, but did not answer.

"Her name is Kaede Mizuno," Yugao said, "She is a Hunter-Nin from the Kirigakure."

Both Shikamaru and Iruka blinked at this, recognizing the name.

"She wasn't wearing a Hunter's Mask," Choji noted, "Just a normal shinobi hood."

"She doesn't wear a mask," the violet-eyed woman told them, "She is called 'The Face', because she does not wear a mask. Her looks are her greatest weapon. She uses seduction and deception, and counts on her enemies underestimating her."

Kaede turned her attention to Yugao, staring concertedly at the purple-haired Jonin. She carefully examined the eldest Kunoichi's figure and stance, until finally a realization filled her face. Her eyes drifted to Yugao's right shoulder, and displayed mild surprised at finding it unmarked. The Mist ninja smirked and looked down at the floor.

"But that doesn't explain why she is here," Ino said harshly, obviously still bearing a grudge.

"I suppose you could say it is both the same reason you are here, and the opposite reason," their prisoner finally spoke, "You are here to protect the Daimyo's daughter, and I am here to capture the kidnapper. Which is a good thing for you."

The hunter suddenly brought her arm back to the front of her body, the makeshift shackles falling to the floor. She rubbed her wrists to restore circulation, and gazed cannily at the Leaf ninja.

"There doesn't seem to be any point in keeping this secret anymore. And it'll be better for all of us if you guys are prepared. So here's what I know."

"The leader of this group was one of ours," she told them, "A missing-nin from the Hidden Mist village. From what we have heard, he's been teaching the bandits he recruited basic Ninjutsu and Taijutsu. But that's not the worst of it. The real problem is who the rogue is. Although given the presence of Naruto Uzumaki, I guess it makes sense that the fourth and final of the Broken Swords would show up."

The Konoha ninja all tensed at the revelation, except for Naruto, who looked lost.

"What do I have to do with this?" he could barely keep his voice down, "And what's 'the Broken Swords'? It sounds like a rock band."

Iruka sighed at the density of his student, before starting to explain, "In the Hidden Mist village, there were seven legendary swords, ancient weapons of such power that a unique fighting style was derived around each blade. In each generation, seven Jonin are chosen to wield these blades. They are known as the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist."

Kaede nodded, adding, "But after Zabuza slaughtered his way to the rank of Genin, the 11th Mizukage was able to start to change the direction of our village. He realized the senseless bloodshed was decreasing our numbers, and hurting our teamwork, but not producing stronger shinobi as was expected. Unfortunately, many of the old guard saw this as a betrayal, and many have left the village. Including four of the Seven Swordsmen. In the Bingo Book, these s-class criminals are referred to as the Broken Swords."