Untitled Part 32

They headed for the reinforced tower in the center of the village, occasionally intervening in battles between Shin's forces and Kabuto's warriors. Each time, Gaara asked their allies, or surviving enemies, about Kabuto's whereabouts. But no one had seen the new leader of the Hidden Sound Village. So they kept on their path, until they reached the fortress. The huge steel doors were closed tight.

"Sakura," though Gaara only said her name, the instruction was obvious. The pink-hair Kunoichi stepped forward, and with a single blow, punched one of the reinforced barriers in. The door flew a short distance, before striking a column and spiraling into the wall. A handful of Sound shinobi, standing on the other side of the portal, readied weapons.

"This is where we split up," Kakashi told Natsuki and Chiasa. After the hearing explosion, instead of returning to the staging point, at Hatake's order they went directly into the village. The Sand team and True Sound team each split off, heading in different directions.

"Where to now, Kakashi-sensei?" Shino asked quietly.

"No clue," the Jonin sounded unperturbed. He looked over the teenagers, and added, "Let's look for some pockets of battle, and see if we can find one of the targets."

Sai sighed, and Kakashi's face turned serious in response.

"Kiba, Akamaru, see if you can smell anything," he directed, "Shino dispatch your scouts. We'll head towards the village core for now."

The four shinobi started to move north, towards the open square near the middle of the town. But before they could reach top speed, Akamaru dug in his claws to quickly stop. The humans all followed suit.

"What is it?" Sai asked impatiently, "Does he need to go to the bathroom?"

The ninja hound growled at him, and then yipped at Kiba.

"He says he smells something, something thick and dangerous. That way," he pointed down an ally heading east. As they stalled, beetles flew in from all directions.

"I also sense something in that direction," the insect master informed them, "An odd chakra signature."

"I suppose," the copy-ninja conceded, "that's as good a direction as any."

Sai snorted, but followed nevertheless

"A theater?" Sai was surprised, and incredulous. But no more so than the other three humans.

"Are you sure?" Kiba asked his dog. Akamaru barked firmly. Kakashi grasped the ornate handle, and pulled the door open. A strong smell of perfume wafted from the box office. The Jonin swept his hand, and the three Chunin slunk inside.

The first thing they noticed was a fallen True Sound Kunoichi. Shino knelt down, and examined her.

"She is alive," he said simply, "She appears to have been drugged."

"Looks like Akamaru was right," Kiba needled Sai.

"I never said he was not," the former ANBU agent was not roused, "I merely think it is foolish to follow a lesser beast."

Kakashi and Shino both caught Kiba before he could lunge at Sai.

"Not exactly the crowd to say that around," Kakashi advised. Sai nodded, still not provoked. The four men moved to the inner doors, preparing to enter the auditorium. Inside, they could hear music, and lyrical voices. Kiba signaled for Akamaru to back away, and Shino silently opened the door a crack. The intoxicating scent grew more powerful, and Kakashi peeked through the gap.

"I see two men with True Sound headbands, in the back row," he told his team, "They look like they are hypnotized."

"Why do you think that?" Kiba whispered.