Chapter 45: Return to the Hidden Waterfall

"How long do we have to wait?" Sai asked. But his question was not one of impatience; he had begun to sketch the majestic beauty of the waterfall, and wanted to know how long he had to work. Despite being early in January, at was a warm, clear day. Sakura stepped behind him to look at his pad, but she blocked his sun and he glared up at her.

"Not too long," Kakashi told the artist, "He should be here already."

Sai nodded, and began to draw faster.

Naruto tossed another can onto the pile building up on the shore, shaking his head. Last time they had been here, he and Sakura had helped pick up garbage at the edge of the pond at the foot of the falls; and when they had arrived, he had waded in to do so again. As he reached for a plastic milk jug, three towers of water exploded between him and the shore, drenching the blond Chunin.

As the pillars splashed back to the pool, a figure resolved in each column. In the middle stood their client Shibuki, but unexpectedly, on his left was Shizuku, and on his right was her twin brother, Fumito. Both of the children were noticeably taller, and each now wore a Hidden Waterfall headband.

"Sakura!" both shouted, running to the medical Kunoichi. Naruto walked out of the lake, and shook himself dry like a dog, or a fox.

"Sorry about that, Naruto," Shibuki chuckled, "We didn't expect anyone to be in the water. But thank you for the pickup, you saved Fumito and Shizuku some work."

"Hey, Sasuke's not here," Shizuku noted loudly, "Where is he?"

Shibuki looked sheepish. Sai ignored them, continuing his outline, but Naruto and Sakura struggled for words.

"Sasuke left the team for family reasons," Kakashi told them.

"Oh," the young Waterfall Kunoichi looked disappointed.

"So, you two are Genin now?" Naruto changed the subject.

"Yup," Fumito proclaimed proudly.

"We want to defend the village like Shibuki-sama and Naruto-niichan," the young girl added.

"Well, we better get moving," Shibuki announced, "And you two should get to work."

"Yes, Master Shibuki," they both bowed, and then set to work bagging the garbage Naruto had collected.

"OK, so why are we here?" Kakashi asked. Team 7 had been following the leader of the Hidden Waterfall Village silently for eight minutes, as he led them eastwards along the cliff that contained the waterfall that gave the small shinobi town its name

"There have been some strange and somewhat disturbing rumors," he told them, "Rumors that my village may soon be targeted for conquest. I have spent the past three years building up our strength, but without the Hero's Water it may not be enough. That's why I need the Waterfall Tabard."

"Waterfall Tavern?" Naruto frowned, "We're going to some inn?"

"Not Tavern," Sakura groaned, "Tabard, a cloth drape that you wear over armor."

"No brains," Sai commented.

"The Waterfall Tabard is a special talisman," Shibuki continued, "The cotton used to weave it and the inks used to dye it were all steeped in the Hero's Water. And it was woven by master ninja craftsmen. It is said to triple the strength, speed, and chakra of anyone who can claim it."

"That doesn't explain why we are here," Kakashi pointed out.

"The Tabard is stored in a cave with many lethal traps. The layout has been lost in time, but the instructions say that no two Jonin may enter the cave, nor may one Waterfall Shinobi ask another for help before entering."