Chapter 22: The Ninja Cram School (Part I)

Naruto was playing with his food, which Hinata had come to recognize as a sign he was worried about something.

After spending all of his second day of punishment with Anko, their Taijutsu session with Tsunade that morning had been like a mini vacation. Having grown tired of ramen, Hinata had suggested one of her favorite places for lunch, and Naruto agreed. They walked across the village, slowly for the sore Genin, to a café that specialized in Land of Earth cuisine. The boy tore through his cheeseburger, while the girl savored her roast beef sandwich slowly. But after finishing the entrée, he began poking around the fried potatos

"Naruto, what is it?" she prodded, setting down the remains of her meal. He dropped the fries, and looked at her.

"The Chunin exam is in eleven days," he proclaimed, "And I don't have a team!"

Hinata considered that. The Chunin exams were not given to individuals. Groups of three were preferred, but occasionally pairs or quartets were given permission to participate.

"The only other Genin I know are Konhamaru, Moegi, and, um, runny nose..."

"Udon," she supplied.

"Right," he nodded, "They aren't going to participate. If I can't find anyone to partner with, I won't be able to compete."

"Well, I have been working with the Genin teams. Maybe I can help you find someone," Hinata offered.

"I had hoped I could do it myself," he admitted, "Chunin are supposed to show leadership and all that."

The Kunoichi nodded.

"I want to do something to help him," Hinata said, "But I also want to respect his wishes."

Normally, when her sister started talking about Naruto, Hanabi only half-listened, devoting her main focus to her own thoughts. But this time, she was paying close attention.

"Naruto-san needs a partner for the Chunin exam?" Hanabi looked at her sister hard.

"Yes," Hinata was confused, "Why?"

"Because my own teammates do not feel they are ready for the exam," the younger girl explained, "But I think I am up to the challenge."

"You have not been complimentary of Naruto in the past," Hinata was dubious.

"Naruto has changed recently," the Genin countered, "I would not have thought he could stand up to our father, or defeat him so thoroughly."

Hinata's face tightened at the reminder of Hiashi's attack, and for a moment Hanabi thought she had made a mistake.

"We can talk to Naruto tomorrow," Hinata's voice was strained. She stood quickly, and left the dining room, her dinner only half-eaten. Hanabi was silently glad her father was at a clan meeting.

"No way," Naruto shook his head violently.

"I'm sorry I went behind your back, Naruto," Hinata blanched, "Hanabi and I were just talking, and..."

"It's not that," he said gently, obviously unhappy he had upset her. After she settled, his ire returned, "It's just... She's ten!"

Hanabi bristled, but Hinata stepped in, "Only two years younger than we were when we first took the exam, and more skilled than either of us were at the time. And a year older than when the Fourth Hokage attained the rank."

"I... um," Naruto's next argument already countered, he stammered. After recovering, he turned to Hanabi, "You realize how dangerous this is? My entire team almost died last time I took the exam."