Chapter 90: The Hyuga Clan's Justice

"However, if you mind your manners, I may relent and allow you to  continue to court my granddaughter," Hyouta continued smugly, "under  more... restrictive circumstances."

"What are you talking about?" Naruto shouted, angry and confused, "There's no way you can say Hinata didn't win!"

"True  enough," Hyouta nodded grimly, adding a slight smirk, "Her performance  was surprisingly impressive. No, it is you, Uzumaki, who failed to  fulfill your part of the arrangement."

"I won that fight," Naruto sputtered, "Everyone saw it."

"You may have fulfilled one of the Hokage's conditions," Hyouta sounded agreeable, "But our deal was you that you win a duel.  You barely injured him, frightened him into running, and then let him  escape. That is hardly what I would call a 'duel', more or less a win.  And that is not even addressing the qualifications of your opponent,  which the Hokage knew in advance were invalid, but chose not to inform  me..."

"In the end, the fight between Hinata and Neji was just a formality," Hyouta concluded, "I had already decided that you had failed."

"That's  pretty dirty," Tsunade stated, reigning in her anger due to the public  nature of the forum. Naruto growled wordlessly, nodding his agreement.  Hiashi stood up, and moved to join his father. Hinata moved unsteadily  into the stands, and approached the Hokage's box with an angry  expression.

"I can see I will not be able to go easy on you two,"  Hyouta said imperiously, "I think that after Hinata is installed as a  Branch Family member, I will need to remove her from active duty. She  will have to remain at home, performing simple chores, until she learns  her place. She is obviously not fit to be in the field."

"WHY,  YOU!" that was the last straw for the former Jinchuriki. Uzumaki roared  the slang accusation, and charged the viewing platform.

"Naruto!" Hiashi barked reproachfully, and the young man stopped short.

"If  I may have a moment to speak to Lord Hyouta," Hinata's father requested  of her boyfriend. Naruto frowned, but he shrugged his acceptance. Still  he did not relax, even as Hinata limped up to his side.

"Lord  Hyouta," the Hyuga clan leader addressed his father, "Am I to understand  that are using these loopholes of language as a reason not to honor  your agreement with Hinata?"

"An inaccurate way to phrase it," Hyouta nodded, "But your conclusion is correct."

"Thank you," Hiashi smiled. His face turned grim and commanding.

"Lord  Hyouta Hyuga, you have broken a pact with a member of this clan, and  have disgraced yourself. Even worse, you have done so in front of the  Hokage and the majority of the Hidden Leaf Village, reflecting poorly on  the Hyuga clan as a whole. You leave me no choice; I challenge your  right and fitness to serve as an elder of the Hyuga clan."

Tsunade  laughed triumphantly, while both Naruto and Hyouta looked dumbstruck at  the dressing down. The Elder recovered quickly, smirking at his son  confidently.

"Fine, let us return to the manor and put this to a vote," Hyouta countered smugly.

"You don't understand," Hiashi shook his head, "I challenge your right to be an elder."

Hyouta  looked amused as he realized what the clan leader was saying, and  stated, "You want to duel me, boy? I'll fight you right here and now. I  may have lost a step or two, but you could never defeat me. You are  almost as much of a Technical Jonin as Ruijaka, except that you never  made Jonin..."

"I accept your proposed time and location," Hiashi  smiled even more broadly, "And as is my right, I request a proxy to  fight in my place."

Hyouta blinked, but recovered quickly again, "Who? Hinata? Do you think she is in any shaped to fight me now?"