Chapter 72: The Canyon of Dawn

Rock Lee wore an expression of annoyance as he disassembled his quarterstaff and replaced the individual weights back in his arm and leg bands.

"I was under the impression the Akatsuki were a dangerous group," he stated, "But this display makes me wonder if their reputation is exaggerated."

"It isn't," Shikamaru shook his head, "I don't know about these guys, but Hidan alone was as strong as a normal ninja squad."

"This was a harrier unit," Temari recalled the intelligence report, "The Akatsuki has too many bandit and mercenary recruits for their rogue ninjas to train them completely. So instead they give them more specialized training. A harrier group is a sixteen man squad designated to use speed and stealth to delay and distract the enemy. But they are only supposed to go up against a tradition four man ninja squad, so we had them outnumbered and outmatched."

Shino extracted a whistle and recalled the Bikochu; the beetle had continued to track Naruto, heedless of the battle.

"We should have left one alive, to interrogate, " Kaede sighed.

"Next time," Kankuro suggested agreeably.

"We need to get moving," Sakura insisted, as their insect guide reappeared, "When this group doesn't report in, they'll have our location."

The other shinobi nodded, and the rescue team set out again.

"Lady Tsunade, can I have a word in private?" Kakashi asked carefully. The Hokage had just informed the five Jonin of the situation and their new mission. She instructed them to go to the tech ninjas and determine if they could locate the cell phones of any of their students. As the others turned to leave, the Copy-Ninja instead stepped closer to the Sannin's desk.

Tsunade nodded, and said, "The rest of you go ahead. Kakashi will meet you."

"What's on your mind?" she asked after Anko closed the door. Kakashi met her gaze with an odd mixture of self-recrimination and determination.

"I would like you to remove me from this mission," he said directly.

"Why?" she asked, curious but also close to losing her temper.

"I'm worried that about Rei," he explained, "I don't think I should leave her right now."

The Hokage relaxed, almost amused.

"Kakashi, I'm glad you're bonding with the girl," she told him, "But don't you think you're taking this overprotective parent thing too far?"

"That's not..." his denial died off, and he shrugged in acquiescence, "That's not the only reason. The Akatsuki work in pairs. If we assume that the Reaper is Zetsu's partner, then we're still one short. According to Hinata, Deidara was here, but his partner Tobi was not. But what if Tobi did come with them? What if he is waiting for us to get distracted and deplete our forces on the rescue mission, so he can take Rei back?"

Tsunade considered that. The argument was not unreasonable, it was the sort of thing the Sannin would have tried, back in the day.

"I want to save Naruto," Kakashi waffled, "But with those kids out there, we have already sent out a substantial force. I'm not sure I'm needed there, but I am needed here."

"This is the Akatsuki," she reminded him, "I'm doubt either of us could take on Madara single handed, and the same probably applies for Pein. So these kids will need help they can get. The best help they can get. And time is of essence."

Kakashi nodded, clearly torn.

"I'll tell you what," Tsunade smirked at her own genius, "Jiraiya has been milking his injury for a bit too long. So in return for letting him stay in the hospital a bit longer, I'll have him protect Rei while you are gone. And I'll also have Shizune there the whole time to baby-sit the both of them. Will that satisfy you?"