Chapter 23: The Ninja Cram School Part II

Hanabi's eyes went wide.

"Sister, what are you doing?" she gasped. Hinata had raised her hand as if to slap the younger girl. But she lowered it, still almost shaking with rage.

"I knew the arrogance of our clan ran deep in you," Hinata's voice was as close to a growl as it had ever been, "But to let it evolve to this level of stupidity is unbelievable."

Hanabi wanted to react, but the force of Hinata's rage kept her still, silent.

"There is not a Genin or Chunin in this village who would not drop everything to train with Kakashi Hatake for one week. Even many of the Jonin feel the same. But you have been nothing but disrespectful and dismissive."

Hinata leaned in harder, putting more of her weight onto her sister's shoulders. Hanabi grimaced.

"Kiba, Sakura, and I all have other things we could be doing," the normally reserved Chunin bit off each word, "We could be on missions, or working on our own training, instead of having you 'waste' our time."

"And Naruto..." she paused, concentrating to keep her fury, "Naruto has the least reason to be here. He is already stronger than most Chunin, and even some Jonin. Both Kakashi-sensei and Lady Tsunade have said that if it were not for the team requirement, Naruto would almost certainly be able to complete the exam on his own."

What she did not say is that both of the ranking shinobi had expressed a belief that without a partner, Naruto might outsmart himself in the first trial, depending on its exact configuration.

But Hinata's last statement, and her pause afterwards, gave Hanabi a small boost. The Genin pushed back, asking condescendingly, "If that is so, why is he working so hard? Even after he complains, he still drives himself to the point of exhaustion."

"Because that's who he is," she hissed, driving a chakra-laced finger into her sister's side, expelling both the girl's breath and any thoughts of resistance, "Experience has taught him that the simplest of mission, the most mundane of tasks, can suddenly become something unique or deadly. And even if it does not, as long as he gives his all, he might get a tiny bit stronger or faster."

Then her voice softened with admiration, "And as long as he tries his hardest, he'll have no regrets."

"I don't understand," Hanabi croaked, on the verge of crying in frustration, "What's the point of all of this?"

"You. Just this once, the world really does revolve around you," her anger flared again, fueled by years of resentment, not yet fully mended, "Lady Tsunade doesn't think you are ready to even attempt the Chunin exam. She doesn't want you to get killed, or drag Naruto down with you. So she gave Kakashi-sensei this week to see if you are ready, and if not, try to get you there. But if he decides you are too unskilled, you will be forbidden to take the exam. And then Naruto will have to find another team or wait until the Land of Lightning exam in six months."

"So that is the real reason Naruto is working so hard," the younger girl sneered, realizing the mistake almost as the words escaped. This time, Hinata did not stop herself. She slapped Hanabi full in the face, putting all of her weight, and even a little chakra into the open hand strike.

"Naruto doesn't know," Hinata was now more disappointed than angry, "Kakashi-sensei told us what the Hokage instructed, but asked us to keep it from Naruto. Even if he did know, what good would pushing himself do? You are the one who is too weak."

She stood, leaving the stunned Genin on the ground.

"Go home, Hanabi," Hinata Hyuga ordered, "Back to our clan's little illusionary world. Give Naruto at least some time to try and find another group, and learn to work as a team with them."