Chapter 66: Jonin Trials, Day 4

"Heh, heh, heh," Anko chuckled darkly, "I've been looking forward to this all week. Good morning, Choji..."

The large Chunin stood steady, directly meeting his teacher's eyes without a hint of fear or challenge.

The Toad Sage stared through the partially open door to the hospital room with a goofy, lecherous grin. Sure, she wasn't quite as endowed as he normally preferred, and the best part was covered. But despite that, he was more than happy to ogle Yugao Uzuki's slightly larger than usual chest as she nursed the infant Rei Uchiha. If the Kunoichi had noticed his presence, she gave no indication.

Just as Yugao was about  to set down the baby, giving him a brief, clear view, Jiraiya felt a  murderous intent moving swiftly towards him, and he quickly composed his  face into the appearance of total seriousness.

"Good morning,  Tsunade," he addressed his former teammate, his voice all business, "I  wanted to meet Itachi's daughter, but she is bonding with her new  mother, so I didn't want to interrupt."

"Right," the Hokage calmed somewhat, not entirely convinced.

"I  presume you are the one who put the Wet-nurse Seal on Yugao," he  prompted. The medical Sannin did not answer; instead her fury began to  build again. He held up his hands in submission.

"Fine, none of my business," he conceded.

"Still,"  Tsunade said, her voice carrying a tone of allegation, "it is odd that  Itachi never told us about this Erika, or that he had a child."

"Just what are you implying?" Jiraiya countered evenly.

"You  were his contact all those years," she told him directly, "And he  trusted you more than anyone else. I can't believe you didn't know  anything about this."

"Apparently I wasn't the one he trusted  most," the Toad Sage concluded darkly. Then he forced those emotions  away, adding, "He never told me anything about getting married or having  a child, though he did mention this Erika a couple of times around five  or six years ago. He wanted me to let Sarutobi know that the Raikage  was still hunting for Kekkei Genkai. And he did occasionally make  statements about having reasons beyond Madara that he wanted to stay  undercover."

Tsunade frowned thoughtfully, then shrugged. She  started to comment, but was interrupted when Yugao's voice emerged from  the hospital nursery room where she, Kakashi, and Rei were staying.

"If  you two don't want to discuss state secrets in the hallway, I'm done  with the feeding," the former ANBU agent chided them, "And against my  better judgment, I will introduce Rei to the Pervy Sage."

Tsunade laughed, but Jiraiya looked annoyed.

"I thought you were above that, Yugao," he said in mock hurt, as he stepped into the room. She smiled angelically at them.

"According to all the members of both my team and Kakashi's team that is your official title, Master Jiraiya," she informed him.

"Now there's an idea," Tsunade grinned as she shut the door. The male Sannin groaned in response.

"Good morning, Naruto," Iruka greeted his surrogate nephew.

"Hi,  Iruka-sensei," Naruto's acknowledgement was unusually subdued. He did  not meet his teacher's eyes, and had entered the room slowly.

"Is something the matter?" Iruka asked. When the question didn't garner a response, the Jonin decided to try a different tactic.

"Did  Hinata's little distraction yesterday morning make you mess up your  weapons test?" Umino teased lightly. Uzumaki turned red briefly, but  then shook his head.