Chapter 42: Yuletide Mission

October flowed as quickly as September while Naruto moved and got settled in to his new home. Despite having deserted him on Saturday evening, Shizune called Naruto Monday morning to offer her assistance in picking out new appliances. Readily admitting his ignorance on the subject, Naruto eagerly accepted. His decision proved to be fruitful, as Shizune was much more knowledgeable about the household machines. She helped him figure out what he required, and find the pieces to fill said need, within his price range. She also convinced him to buy an older computer, telling him he would need to learn how to use one if he wanted to be Hokage. After they were done shopping, Shizune's bargaining skills left the salesman almost in tears. Her negotiations led to him acquiring an upright refrigerator/freezer, oven with flattop range, dishwasher, microwave, washing machine, dryer, 40-inch widescreen TV, and a late model desktop computer, with delivery, installation, and removal of the old appliances. And all for less than the total listed prices of all the household machines. When he asked her about it, she looked embarrassed as she explained she had acquired her haggling skills settling Tsunade's gambling debts. The young man had just grinned in amusement.

After the appliances were installed, Sakura was able to bribe Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji so they would help Naruto move. Together with Hinata, the six Chunin easily packed most of Naruto's belongings into five medium size boxes. Hinata, Ino, and Shikamaru took the boxes, while Sakura carried Uzumaki's desk, and Choji and Naruto balanced his armoire between them. Between the six of them, and Naruto's general lack of possessions, they got him unpacked and put away quite quickly.

November turned cold, and business increased for the ninja of the Konohagakure. There were many D Rank missions dealing with harvesting crops, and preparing homes for winter. But escort missions also became more important, as bandits grew desperate for food and money. The large number of jobs meant Naruto and Hinata were not able to spend as much time together as either would have liked.

December fell harshly on the Land of Fire. Although there was rarely any snowfall, the final month was generally cold and wet; and this year was proving more so than usual. Though still busy, the new couple began to make their plans for Yuletide.

"Good morning, Hinata!" Naruto shouted when he saw his girlfriend. Despite the emergency call, he was happy to see her. And her face instantly brightened when she heard his voice. She diverted her course, and they continued running, side-by-side.

"Did the Hokage call you too?" he asked.

"Yes," she answered quietly, "Did she give you any reason for our summons?"

"No," he shook his head. The couple continued in silence, until they reached their destination. They paused outside the Hokage's office, confused. Unlike normal, neither Raido nor Genma were waiting, so they were unsure how to proceed. After waiting for half a minute, Naruto grew impatient, and knocked brashly on the door.

"Come in," Tsunade's exasperated voice carried loudly into the hall. After exchanging worried looks at her tone, they hurriedly entered the room.

"Good, it's you two," the leader of the Leaf shinobi appeared relieved to see them.

"I have a mission for you," she informed them without small talk or her normal banter with Naruto.

"Really?" Hinata attempted to hide her disappointment. Naruto was not so tactful.

"What? But Gramma Tsunade, it's only three days until Yuletide!" he complained loudly, "You're gonna send us out now?"

He expected her to grow angry in return, but she only nodded.

"Why? Can't it wait until later? Or send someone else?"

"This mission comes from a very wealthy and powerful client, so we cannot refuse," the medical Sannin explained, "And the mission requirements say it must be completed before the 21st, so delay isn't an option. And you two were specifically requested."