Chapter 32: Singing Blades

The last of the Sound guards finished, team Gaara headed up to the second floor. The next level was Orochimaru's audience chamber. It was a large empty room, lined with columns, a throne in the center two thirds of the way back, and a set of three doors on the opposite end. The edges of the room where dark, and the four invading Shinobi were not alone.

"This is mildly unexpected," Kabuto Yakushi announced, walking calmly into the light, "I figured Shin Busata was up to something, but I didn't expect him to have the guts, or the resources, to hire a group and Leaf and Sand ninja to assassinate me. And my old friends Gaara and Naruto Uzumaki no less."

He looked away, and as if considering something, "But still, four on one doesn't seem exactly fair. Gokki, Yuko, can you assist me?"

"Of course, Master," an oddly gentle, feminine voice emerged from the shadows. Two more Sound Shinobi moved forward enough that their outlines could be seen, but not their precise features. The woman who had spoken was taller than Hinata, Sakura, or Gaara, though not as tall as Naruto. She had a medium build, but the shape of her right arm was disparately large. Her male companion was short and compact. Though under five feet tall, he looked to be made of three hundred pounds of solid muscle. His head was completely devoid of hair, not even the hint of eyebrows or lashes.

"I will deal with Kabuto," Gaara's voice was oddly touched, "The three of you eliminate his followers."

"That is fine by me," Kabuto smirked, "Gokki, Yuko, you may kill Sakura Haruno, but I want Naruto Uzumaki and Hinata Hyuga alive."

Kabuto darted back behind the throne, as Gaara tried, and failed, to get behind the rogue doctor. The two lieutenants ran forward, to prevent the Leaf warriors from interfering.

"What do you want with Naruto and Hinata?" Gaara asked menacingly, sending three darts of dust after Kabuto.

"Isn't it obvious," the answer was mocking, as he nimbly dodged the sand shuriken, "I will examine Hinata's DNA, dissect one of her still living eyes, and then extract her ovum to create my own army of Byakugan soldiers."

"As for Naruto," he rolled forward, trying to cut the Kazekage with his chakra scalpel, "Though I am interested in testing the limits of his regeneration, and attempting to duplicate it, his greatest value is as a bargaining chip with the Akatsuki."

"You will have to survive that long first," the Sand leader countered, his voice colder and harder than usual. His sand lashed out at Kabuto like a whip.

"Naruto Uzumaki," contrary to the blond Genin's expectation, densely built shinobi's voice was of medium tone, and his accent was clean and educated, "Leaf village Ninja, Genin rank. Age fifteen. Orphan son of Yukihana Uzumaki, father unknown. Preferred techniques: Low to mid level Taijutsu, Multi Shadow Clone Jutsu, Rasengan. Possesses advanced regenerative ability and extremely high chakra level, due to the Nine-tailed fox demon sealed in his body."

He separated the boy from his female teammates.

"Yeah, so what's your story?" Naruto was unnerved by the frank and knowledgeable dissertation.

"I see no wisdom in sharing that with you at this time. Your level of emotion discomfort is currently adequate."

"Well, then how about I make your level of physical discomfort match?" Naruto drew Kitsune, and jumped, attempting to strike his opponent over the head.

"Ah yes," Gokki deflected the weapon with his forearm, "Recent intelligence indicated training with the staff-blade by Iruka Umino and Anko Mitarashi. Your weapon has not been reported, I will need to make note of it."