Chapter 29: Deafening

"Stop," Hinata whispered, and the warning spread back through the winding chain of ninja. Gaara's team was at the front of the procession, with Shin Busata, and the girl's Byakugan was active.

"I see four, no five, people in the tunnel, about two hundred fifty feet ahead," she told them. The caves were dark, absorbing the illumination of their flashlights, leaving barely enough behind to see the ground under their feet. And the wind moving through the stones produced a constant low hum that made it difficult to concentrate. Their guide led them by using the tuning forks to modulate the hum, and determine which path to take. Even with the Kekkei Genkai, the two Hyuga shinobi would have been lost.

"Lights out," the Kazekage ordered quietly. The soldiers complied, except for Shin Busata, who their leader urged forward. The True Sound teen crept forward, and Gaara's team followed just beyond the edge of his light.

"Who is that?" a harsh voice said. The invaders moved to the edge of the cavern, while their guide stepped into the light of the patrol's lantern.

"Well, well, well," the Sound Kunoichi holding the lamp mocked, "If it isn't the little renegade."

"Master Kabuto did not think you would return, Busata," the tall, pale ninja, who had first spoken, added.

"but he did give orders to kill on sight," the third warrior in the line said, talking quietly, more to himself than to Shin or his companions, "it could be fun, never taken a note before."

"You want to kill me, Kaja?" Shin asked the jittery, blue-haired Chunin.

"he speaks to me. he knows only our leader may speak to me."

"It's alright, Kaja," the Kunoichi told him, "He's not one of us, anymore. Probably never was."

The second Kunoichi, at the back of the line of Sound ninja, quietly drew a trio of needle in her right hand.

"So you follow Kabuto now, Misaki?" Busata asked the talkative girl, "I thought you hated him, for working against Orochimaru."

The lavender haired woman shrugged, "Times change. You haven't seen what he did to... for Gokki and Yuko."

"Nor will he," the leader said, turning back, "Kaja, have your fun."

Before the soldier could attack, the sand that had been quietly pooling around his feet leapt upwards, wrapping his body. Gaara closed his fist, and the Sound ninja named Kaja died. Naruto, Sakura, and Hinata were more mundane, burying a total of seven kunai in Misaki and the pallid guard. The last two Sound shinobi started to move, but the darkly wrapped fourth ninja was surprised when the Kunoichi behind him buried her spikes in his neck. The Leaf and Sand tensed, but the Kunoichi did not. She leapt forward, embracing their guide.

"Shin, thank the gods," she squeezed him tightly, "I thought... Well, I thought the worst."

"Everything is fine, Chiasa," he wheezed, "Can I please have my lungs back?"

She released him, and stepped back, her green hair swaying slightly.

"How did you know?" Shin asked his companions.

"She was the only one you didn't look at," Sakura said, "Like you did not want to draw their attention to her."

"Shin, that's Naruto Uzumaki. And the Kazekage, Gaara," the girl suddenly expressed amazement as she studied his group. The Leaf warriors reclaimed their blades, and Sakura dropped one that was damaged.

"As I said," Shin looked at her, obviously proud of himself, "Everything is fine."

"Chiasa is one of the True Sound Shinobi," he told the Sand and Leaf shinobi, "And a good friend."