Chapter 62: Jonin Trials, Day 1

When his alarm went off as five AM, Naruto was already wide-awake,  full of anticipation. He slapped the button, silencing the buzzer. Then  he hopped out of bed, dropping his sleep shorts to the carpet in the  same action. The knuckleheaded Chunin bound into the bathroom, and was  in the shower in less than ten seconds. After a quick scrub down, he  brushed his teeth and got dressed. Even though Hinata wasn't scheduled  to arrive until six, he wanted to make sure he was ready by the time she  got there.

Participants in the Jonin Trials were due to meeting  at Ninja Ops at seven AM, to obtain their examination assignments. That  would tell them what time, what day, and which proctor would be  overseeing each of their five tests.

Naruto was just finishing frying the bacon when there was a knock at the door.

"Come  in," he called out. The door rattled, and the young man heard an  annoyed exhale. A few seconds later, he heard the lock open, and the  door slid inward.

"Naruto, it was locked," Hinata complained as  she set the paper bag on the kitchen counter. He shifted the pan off the  heat, and turned to grin at her.

"Well, if it was someone I  wasn't expecting, they would have knocked again," he crossed the kitchen  and wrapped his arms around her.

"And if it was my still  occasionally shy, but unbearably cute girlfriend," he gave her a quick  peck on the lips to emphasize, "she should have just used her key  without knocking."

"But Naruto, it would be improper," she argued, blushing slightly.

"Hinata,  this isn't a late night rendezvous," he laughed, hugging her tighter,  "It's breakfast. Kakashi-sensei and your father both know we're meeting  like this. And it's not like we have much time for dessert after breakfast. Though we might want some, since you vetoed the donuts."

"Unless you changed your mind?' he released her and went for the bag.

"No,"  she shook her head, the red slowly fading from her cheeks, "Bagels are  healthier than pastries, and we'll need to be at our best today."

Naruto  sighed, and moved to the cupboard. He took out a pair of plates, and  served up the bacon, before setting the dishes on the table. The couple  then worked together on the beverages, Naruto setting out the glasses  and Hinata pouring the milk, apple juice, and orange juice in turn. She  walked out to the dining area and arrayed the cups, while he took out  the butter and grabbed the bagels.

"So, Naruto?" Hinata asked  after their first few minutes of eating in silence, "Have you thought  about whom you'd want for your proctors in the Trials?"

"Not  really," he shrugged, quickly taking a swig of apple juice before  adding, "I mean, it's not like we get a choice, so there isn't much  point in worrying about it."

"But what about what Kakashi-sensei  told us? About how difficult Gai-sensei's stealth tests are, or how  strict Kurenai-sensei was about the Genjutsu test. And what do you think  Anko-sensei would do if she was your Weapons Jutsu examiner?"

"Well,  Kurenai is in the Land of Air, so that's not a problem," Naruto  considered it for an instant, "And I'd be happy to get Anko-sensei or  Iruka-sensei for Weapons, at least they'll respect the staff-blade. And  as for Gai's obstacle course, I say bring it on."

"Besides," he  continued more evenly, sensing her nervousness, "Not only do we not get  to choose, we don't even know which teachers will be handling which  tests."

He took her hand and met her eyes, "So don't worry about it, Hinata. I'm sure you'll do great. Probably better than me even."

She smiled faintly at the compliment. She forced down her fear, drowning it with his love and confidence in her.