Chapter 83: The Next Three?

"What is it, Lady Tsunade?" Hinata asked as her teammates left.  Naruto gave his girlfriend one last nervous look before closing the door  behind him.

"Given everything that has happened over the last few  days, it probably seems like it was weeks or even months ago," Tsunade  started with trepidation, "But you may recall that just last week, you  participated in the Jonin Trials."

Hinata nodded.

"We were  going to post the results on Wednesday, but with everything that  happened... you know, eighty percent of the participants going AWOL," she  fixed the younger woman with a canny eye. Hinata looked away and tapped  her fingers nervously.

"Anyways, we decided to hold off the  announcement until tomorrow," the Hokage continued, her brief moment of  superiority spent, "But before we do so, I wanted to discuss your exam  with you."

The Hyuga Chunin bobbed her head again, growing worried.

"You  did an excellent job on your Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, and skills tests,"  Tsunade informed her, "Kakashi, Yugao, and Anko were all very  complimentary."

The pale beauty brightened slightly at the praise, but she knew it could not be that simple.

"You  also did well with the Genjutsu exam, too," the Hokage continued,  "Shizune was quite impressed by your ability to break illusions.  However, she was surprised and slightly concerned that you lost count  and exhibited an extra technique without realizing it. Which isn't  technically a problem, but she did point it out."

"Your weapons  test on the other hand, caused some debate," the Sanin frowned, "Unique  weapons, like your Kote, are not that uncommon, and do tend to be in the  A or B Rank. On the other hand, having both Kote and Light Throwing  Blades for your expert weapons was a bit of a tough sell. But in the end  the Council agreed that you did pass the weapons test."

"Unfortunately,  despite passing all five tests and having three outstanding showings...  We are not promoting you to the rank of Jonin," Tsunade carefully  controlled her own emotions, so as not to influence the young woman's  reaction.

Hinata looked down at the floor, her bangs concealing  her white eyes. She laced her fingers together, squeezing her digits  tightly.

"I understand," her voice was weak and also hoarse.

"No, you obviously don't," Tsunade barked at her, "This is a perfect example of why the Council chose to stick you with Tokujo!"

Hinata's head flashed up, the remnants of half-formed tears scattering as her lovely eyes expanded in shock.

"Let  me put it this way," the Sanin offered in a more gentle manner, "How do  you think this little meeting would have gone if I had let Naruto stay?  What do you think the little punk would have done?"

"He would  have yelled at you," Hinata smiled at the thought, "He would have told  you it was unfair, and demanded to know why I was being treated  differently."

"That sounds about right," the Hokage agreed, "and then what would you have done?"

"I  would ask Naruto to calm down," the dark-haired woman said, "I would  point out that you must have a good reason to only promote me to  Tokubetsu Jonin. And then I would ask you what I needed to do to become a  full Jonin during the next Trials."

"Do you understand now?" Tsunade queried, "That is the reason we cannot make you a Jonin yet."

The Byakugan user's eyes narrowed as she tried to make sense of the Hokage's point.

"Hinata,  everyone has different facets to their personality," Tsunade explained,  "A cold-blooded killer could have a soft spot for babies, or puppies,  or girls in glasses. But you take it to a worrisome extreme. When Naruto  is around or involved, you are strong, confident, and able to stand up  for yourself. And when he's not, you are little better than the timid  wallflower you were when you graduated. If we could send Naruto with you  on every mission, you would be a great Jonin, but that would also  defeat the purpose."