Chapter 64: A Hero's Legacy

"Is it just the two of you?" the deep voice rumbled from the shadows.

"More or less," Kakashi answered glibly.

"What does that mean?" the hidden shinobi growled dangerously.

"It  means we don't trust you," Tsunade said smugly, then she flashed the  Ninjutsu scrolls they were carrying, "These are Reinforcement Talismans.  If they are cut, torn, or get even a drop of our blood on them, a Ninja  tied to the scroll will be summoned instantly. So while we came alone  as we agreed, if this is a trap we can have you outnumbered in a  heartbeat."

"I guess Itachi was right," Kisame Hoshigaki stepped into the moonlight, "You are smarter than Lor... Pein gives you credit for."

As  per their agreement, he was not carrying his Samehada, but his arms  were folded into the expansive sleeves of his coat, concealing them to  the point where he could have held a short sword in each hand.

"But then, I should have known better than to doubt Uchiha., the Akatsuki agent added.

"So what is this all about," Hatake watched the Mist rogue carefully, but kept his tone firmly neutral.

"You  know Itachi is dead, right?" the swordsman prompted, and both Leaf  shinobi nodded slowly in response, "I am here to fulfill his will."

"Itachi's will?" Tsunade frowned, surprised and also annoyed because of the shock.

"Right,"  Kisame grinned at them, showing his pointed teeth, "Uchiha asked me to  do two things in the event of his death. The first I already took care  of. You found Itachi's sword with the old man, right?"

"Yes," Kakashi answered simply.

"Good," the shark responded, "I figured if I left it there, you guys would take it."

"Does that mean you were there during the fight?" Tsunade demanded sternly.

"No," Kisame said after a moment's consideration, "I found the old man after everything was done."

"Just Master Jiraiya?" Kakashi asked, more evenly then his leader, "Are you saying that Itachi's body wasn't there?"

"That's right. It was just the toad and Itachi's blade."

"Then how do you know for sure he's dead?" Tsunade prompted expectantly.

"Because Pein told us Uchiha was dead, and he had Uchiha's Akatsuki ring."

Tsunade deflated, her hopes dashed. And even Kakashi slumped slightly.

"Anyway,  it took me a little while to retrieve the second item and slip away,"  Hoshigaki continued, then he chuckled and added, "They didn't trust me  anymore, for some reason."

"Itachi's last request of me," the  swordsman sobered, "was that if he died, I was to bring his daughter to  the Hidden Leaf Village for Kakashi Hatake to raise."

And then he  unfolded his arms, revealing an infant of no more than eight months of  age. The girl had a short crop of dark green hair, and she yawned,  looking around with eyes black as the night's sky. Kisame actually  smiled gently at the child, then he stepped closer, extending her. The  Hokage moved forward quickly and took the baby. She carefully set the  girl down on a flat patch of grass, kneeling over her as she began to  give the infant a medical examination. Then the renegade took out an  envelope and tossed it to Kakashi. Hatake opened the letter and started  to read out loud.

"Kakashi Hatake," the Copy Ninja read, "Cliché  though it is to write, if you are reading this, I am dead. I have  entrusted my partner Kisame with delivering my daughter to the  Konohagakure. I humbly request that you become her father. There are  only three people left in this world with the Sharingan, and you are the  only one I can trust. Madara is out of the question, and my brother has  gone to far down our ancestor's path for me to trust him with my child.  Please raise her and teach her how to use this power for the good of  our village. I am hoping you can lead her away from the arrogant and  vengeful nature that so often gripped my clan. Thank you. Itachi Uchiha.  P.S. My daughter's name is Rei Uchiha, and her birth date is September  the fifteenth."