Chapter 34: Hissing Anger

Iruka Umino felt as if he were being crushed by the weight of Anko Mitarashi's seething disdain. He knew it was his own fault, for choosing to take position between Anko and Yugao, but he felt it was the best course for the success of their mission.

"Can't you two get past this?" he asked carefully, "Like when we first met?"

"Yugao, Iruka," Hizashi Hyuga told his students, "We have a new teammate. I would like you both to meet Anko Mitarashi."

Yugao bowed deeply, and Iruka blushed, as the girl stepped out from behind Hizashi.

"Anko, this is Yugao Uzuki and Iruka Umino," he informed her. She took another pace forward, and regarded her new partners warily.

"Nice to meet you," Yugao extended her hand. Anko shook it, settling slightly.

"Umm, hi, I'm Iruka," the oldest of the Genin mumbled. He clasped hands with her as well, and Mitarashi smirked at them.

"So Hizashi-sensei said," she commented dryly.

"You were so worried," Iruka needled Anko lightly.

"Not really," she told him, "I was just embarrassed because of how and why I was assigned to your team."

"So, what do we do with her, Lord Hokage?" Tsunade asked the Third Hokage. In the center of the room, a girl of thirteen years sat, clutching her head, and sobbing. The simple wooden chair sat at the apex of a complex, powerful Ninjutsu seal, one designed to stimulate memory and prevent dishonesty. Despite the jutsu, and a seemingly honest desire to help, Anko Mitarashi had been unable to answer their questions. Even the attempt to remember caused her mental anguish, and sent flares through the evil mark on her neck.

"That in part is up to Anko," Sarutobi answered carefully, "But if she desires, I am preparing a place for her among the Genin teams."

Tsunade's legendary temper flared, but she forced it under control, both to avoid berating her sensei, and so Anko would not hear.

"She left with that damn snake, and now she just comes waltzing back," she snipped quietly, "And you are going to trust her with other Genin? She's probably some mole."

"I believe that Anko did not know about her sensei's crimes when she left with him," the leader of the Konohagakure lectured his former student gently, "And that Orochimaru discarded her when she refused to help him. She has no loyalty to him."

"He could have set up some other way to use her against us," the leader of the medical corps countered harshly, "That strange seal could be a means to control her. And even if she really was a reject, that doesn't mean that anyone will trust her. She'll be lucky to be treated any better than Yukihana's son."

"What would you have me do?" the Hokage snapped, "Imprison her? Execute her?"

"No," she faltered, "Of course not... It's just..."

"I have found a perfect spot for her," Sarutobi explained, "Jun has not recovered from his mental trauma. He is resigning his post. That leaves Inoichi short handed. Genma and Raido might be cousins, but they act like brothers. If I move Genma from Hizashi's team to Inoichi's team, I can place Anko on Hizashi's team."

"Why there?"

"Hizashi is familiar with being unfairly marked. I trust him to take care of the girl," he told her his reasoning, "Iruka has become a firm believer in second chances, so I expect him to treat Anko fairly. And Yugao is so polite and quiet that she gets along with everyone. I think this team can accept Anko, be her haven."