Chapter 141 - The First Birthday

One year since my life changed in one of the biggest ways. One year since Mikey was born. One year since my little baby boy came into my life. And while it was a wild year I wouldn't change a second of it.

 Like most events in our lives, Draco had to make a big deal of it. He had gone all out of his way to throw a party for the toddler. But like most events in our life, it wasn't that simple. Draco and Harry's assignment was growing into less of a small deal and more into a full blow case and investigation. So his normal work week now had an extended 6 hours attached to it where he and Harry would sit upstairs in the office screaming about it. He felt guilty that he wasn't around the family enough. I could tell it was getting to him. So he's trying to make up for it the only way he knows how. To put all his energy into planning this party.  

"If you can't get the colors right how are you going to call yourself a party planner- What do you mean this isn't that serious?! You only turn one once in your life and I'll be damned if my son doesn't celebrate it in the absolute best way because he deserves it!" Draco screams into the phone.

"Oh boy," Hermione says as we sit in the kitchen, "he's being really intense."

I sigh as I twirl my coffee cup lightly. 

"Yeah I know," I say to her.

"He's been screaming all morning," Blaise groans as he bounces Barron. I move to pull Mikey onto my lap bouncing him lightly. The baby clearly not ready to be up today. 

"Do you want to be fired?!" Draco yells over the phone. I sigh pulling the cup to my lips.

"He's just stressed and well he's a Malfoy they get stressed and they plan parties," I tell them, "I never understood it but I'm not bothering to argue with him over it. Listen we have to get to work. Sooner rather than later- Narcissa thanks again for taking them. We have to be there for this meeting early."

"Barron is going to cry the second I leave but all you need is a the niffler toy and some TV," Blaise tells her.

"TV I can't believe you let them watch TV," Narcissa says, "we never let Draco watch TV-"

"Mum you didn't know what TV was," Draco groans as he joins us at the table. He grabs a cup of coffee and takes a long drink before looking over to Hermione, "Hermione thanks for bringing over that report sorry you had to get here so early."

"No it's fine," Hermione says, "it's no big deal. Ron got an early start today so it didn't make anything. Plus I needed to ask Y/n about some reports." Draco nods then looks to me.

"Okay so are we ready to head over to the ministry?" Draco asks. I nod. I kiss Mikey and Barron's cheeks before stepping over to grab my purse. Then we move apparating together. After a quick second, we all reach the entrance to the ministry. 

"I'll be home late tonight," Blaise tells us, "I have a meeting with the potioneers guild. Think you can survive without me?"

"Probably," Draco says, "- I think I'll be home on time for once but I mean why would I ever get to go home on time." 

"I'm sorry love," I say pecking his cheek, "it's fine you guys I'll get home normally and well Narcissa is there and she's always excited to be there with the kids- Oh Blaise look at the time you're going to be late. Be careful today okay?"

"Yes Ma'am," he says. I give him a sweet smile and then he moves to apparate away. Finally, Draco and I move following Hermione inside the ministry. His grip on my hand tightens. I can tell he's stressed just from the slight clenching of his jaws. I don't have to wait long before getting him to talk about it. 

"The party planner is a complete fool," Draco says clearly annoyed, "wanting to use lime green- who even likes the color lime green. Lime is an ugly color. I told her Hunter green. And she sent over Lime green banners- lime green!"