ii

CHAPTER TWO | you're not in france

Lucie was back at The Garrison by noon, she had a long shift. Noon until when everyone left, once again. Before she arrive she had tried her best to cover the bags that sat under her eyes. Lucie never slept last night. Instead she thought of Thomas, and his piercing blue eyes. She knew she was falling for the gangster.

It was around one in the afternoon, when the pub doors flew open. Lucie was too busy trying not to fall asleep to even bother looking at what was happening, instead she listened to the shouting and walked round the bar towards the front. Leaving Thomas and Freddie Throne.

Danny Whiz-Bang had come into the pub, in the mist of one of his delusions. Lucie was placing two glasses of dark mild into a table when it was suddenly flipped it, glass heading straight for Lucie. Cutting different sections of her.

Danny flipped more tables, rambling and shouting about France whilst Lucie was sat on the pub floor, next to a bar stool, in pain.

Freddie and Thomas has a strong grip on Danny and took him down onto the floor after a count of three from Freddie.

"They're gonna' get me! They're gonna' get me!" Danny repeatedly shouted as he fell to the ground with the two men holding him.

"Breathe, Danny, breathe." Freddie tried to calm the man who was writhing underneath him.

"You're home, Danny, were all home in England. You're not in France no more." Tommy successful pulled Danny back to reality.

The two men let go of him, helping him stand up. Brushing themselves off. Thomas has told everyone to leave, now just Thomas, Danny, Freddie and Lucie were left. Lucie was gripping her arm in pain. Half a broken pint glass had lodged itself above her elbow. It had torn the arm of her dress, leaving a painted trail of red to colour the fabric. Her only nice dress.

"Ah! Hell! I did it again, Tommy didn't I? Did I do it again?" You could hear the pain in Danny's voice from a mile away.

"Yes, Danny, Freddie take him back to his wife. Make sure he gets there." Tommy gave both men a pat on the back, sending them on their way and latching the door closed afterwards.

Tommy went straight towards Lucie, bending down to her level and inspecting her arm. It was nothing Polly's needle and thread couldn't fix.

"Come on Lucie, lets get you to Pol, eh? She'll stitch you up." Tommy helped the poor girl up and walked towards Polly's with her.

Tommy relentless hammered on Polly's door until she opened up. Lucie stood beside him, the multiple cuts on her body stinging.

"What in the bloody hell's happened. Get her inside." Polly ushered the girl inside, sitting her on a kitchen chair. Tommy and Ada, who was already at Polly's, we're running around getting everything they needed.

Polly eased out the large chunk of glass from Lucie's arm. Which prompted pained groans from the girl. Ada sat next to Lucie, holding her free hand.

"Right love, this'll hurt." Polly warner her before pouring alcohol on to Lucie's arm. She gritted her teeth and screamed through them. Polly stitched up Lucie's arm, since it was the only cut deep enough, Ada cleaned Lucie's cuts on her leg, leaving the odd cuts on her face.

"Right, Ada, Love, come help me make cups of tea, Tommy clean her face." Polly knew what she was doing.

Tommy pulled up a chair next to Lucie, grasping a clean cloth from the table, dousing it in rum. Tommy used one hand to hold on to the lower half of Lucie's face, whilst the other dragged the rag over her cuts. Lucie wanted to look strong in front of Tommy, so she tried her best not to wince or gasp at the pain.