xxxv

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE | the grand reopening

Grand Opening of The Garrison.

It was today. Everyone was extremely excited, Ada had written to Lucie informing her that she'd be coming up for the opening. Lucie felt less empty today, it was as though little by little the pieces were being picked back up.

Lucie was dressed in yet another one of Thomas' shirts along with her favourite burgundy skirt. She wanted to change for the re opening but she had no nice dresses for the occasion. Yet, she had other things to do besides worry about her clothing.

She was walking down a cobbled road towards the graveyard. However that wasn't her destination, she was actually going to see her Aunt and cousin.

Lucie knocked on the door four times, waiting for her aunt to open the door, she saw children running and splashing in mud.

"Lucie! Hello, Love." Her Aunt beamed. "Don't just stand there come on in!"

Lucie walked inside and sat in the living room. The house was small but beautiful and homely. Her Aunt always had an eye for interior decorating.

"Lucie!" A small voice screeched.

Lucie turned to see Isabelle hurtling towards her at full speed.

"Hello, trouble!" Lucie giggled lifting her into the air.

"Hi pretty lady." Isabelle laughed.

The trio sat and laughed the hours away. Lucie told them of her time in London with her parents and the affairs of the Shelbys. When Isabelle left for the bathroom, Lucie used the small window of time to tell Her Aunt what had happened on Polly's birthday.

"Auntie A, I— er — I lost my child." Lucie stuttered trying not to cry.

"Oh, sweetheart. Come here. It's going to be okay." Her Aunt held her close. "I understand what you're going through. I lost a child myself when I was young, but I had no father of the child to comfort me. You've got him, whoever he is." Her Aunt smiled.

"I haven't told him, I can't. He doesn't know but he said if he lost a child he'd be a wreck." Lucie sighed.

"Luce, what's wrong? Why are you sad?" A little voice chirped.

"Oh I'm fine, Bella. I'm just going soon so I'll miss your pretty face." Lucie wiped her tears away and hugged Isabelle tightly.

"Look I need to go, but the Garrison is opening again tonight, I'd love to see you two there, Isabelle can meet Karl Ada's son, you can meet the Shelby's and Thomas, it would be a lovely night." Lucie smiled.

"Please mummy, please can we go!" Isabelle wriggled with excitement.

"Alright." Adelaide laughed and rolled her eyes.

"I'll see you later little lady!" Lucie peppered Isabelle's face with kisses and put her down.

"Bye Auntie A, please come, meet him. Meet all of them." Lucie smiled.