xiv

CHAPTER FOURTEEN | do you resign?

Lucie was back in The Garrison. She had yet to open the presents she received yesterday, once she arrived home she went straight to sleep, forgetting about the gifts. She'll open them soon enough.

Arthur owned the pub now. Lucie couldn't have been happier for him. He'd made the job the merriest it could be. He kept Lucie employed as the barmaid, 'been here so long, can't get rid of you now.'

Grace however, Tommy employed her. Arthur says he's taking a shine to her. Lucie had realised by now that she loved the man. Plain and simple. Polly and Arthur has caught on a long time ago. The day Lucie first met them, they could see the sparkle in her blue doe eyes when she saw Thomas.

Arthur could see the way Lucie's hands would shake when Thomas spoke to Grace. He could see her knuckles whiten as her grip became tighter on whatever she was holding. It hurt Polly to know that the girl was being tangled into Thomas' web. She knew of the two occasions Thomas had stayed with Lucie. When he stayed with her after Cheltenham too, all those things made Lucie wish something would happen. Made Polly hope her nephew would realise how good the girl in front of him really was.

"Morning Arthur." Lucie beamed throughly the pub.

"Alright Luce, you have a nice birthday?" Arthur shouted from his small office at the side of the pub. Lucie made her way into the room to meet Arthur, the pub was closed this morning, so she'd needn't worry about men badgering her for more drinks.

"Considering four people remembered it, it wasn't too bad." Lucie laughed as Arthur rose to embrace the girl.

"You like the present?" Arthur questioned as he hugged the girl.

"Haven't opened them yet, I'll do it after my shift." Lucie laughed.

"You're having a drink after work Lucie, with me and Pol. Eh?" Lucie agreed with out a second thought. Arthur never told her that everyone would be their, with more presents to celebrate her birthday.

The day in the Garrison when by speedily, without Grace being in today made Lucie feel like it was 1919 when she first began work. When the day was drawing to a close and the end of Lucie shift was looming, Arthur asked her to empty the buckets out back. Lucie happily did so, however Arthur only asked her so he could sneak all the Shelby's into the private room, as well as two more friendly faces.

Once Lucie had returned from outside, everyone had left. All the men and women drinking in the pub had scattered, and the doors were locked. Lucie could hear faint whispers from the private room, and shadows were cast on the windows. She untied her her apron and folded it onto the bar, readying to open the private room door. She could already tell that there were more than just Arthur and Polly drinking tonight.

When Lucie opened the door she was treated with the view of all those she loved. The words Happy Birthday practically slapped her in the face. Look around she smiled at each individual.

Arthur. Polly. John. Little Finn. Thomas.

Lucie laughed heartily, she was like a giddy child, they were here!

"How on God's good earth did you Shelby's get in here?" Lucie laughed as she squeezed in between John and Finn, pulling the little boy into her lap.