xii

CHAPTER TWELVE | bombs away

Thomas ended up spending the night with Lucie, she fell asleep with her head in his lap. The soft whispers he cooed in her ear killed her into a deep slumber.

She woke up the next morning, in her own bed where she didn't fall asleep. She looked towards her nightstand to see a small piece of paper with somewhat sloppy handwriting scrolled onto it.

Luce,

I want to talk to you, you fell asleep last night. I'll see you either at Polly's by 2pm or at yours by 9pm.

                        Tommy.

Lucie had a shift today, but she didn't want to see Grace, not today. Instead she decided to just go to Polly and tell her everything.

When Lucie had got out of bed she noticed that Tommy had left his coat. Since Lucie didn't have one, of course she was going to use it. By the time she was changed and ready to leave it had just gone ten. Lucie didn't bother tying up her hair today. She touched up yesterday's make up too. She wanted to make an effort.

Lucie was now walking down the smog filled streets of Small Heath. The cold air nipped at her skin, making her wrap Tommy's coat tighter around her frame. Residents of Small Heath were coming to know the barmaid who Thomas Shelby was taking a shine to.

Once Lucie reached Polly's she decided to just walk straight in, as if she didn't already learn not to do that when Ada got married.

"Pol, you in? Thought I'd nip over for a while got some things to tell you." When Lucie walked into the betting shop that was adjoined she saw Polly, Arthur, Finn and Tommy all staring at the girl with smirks.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me." Lucie squealed.

"Been looking for that, Lucie." Tommy said, referring to the coat wrapped around her.

"Sorry." Lucie began to remove the coat feeling extremely embarrassed.

"Keep it, I've got more." Tommy gave a small smile, one so quick none of his family saw, only Lucie.

"Right then, John's in the Garrison, wants a family meeting. Wants you there too, Luce. Scudboat, we'll be back in ten minutes." Polly shouted as everyone piled out.

"Five." Thomas shouted shutting the door.

Whilst Everyone walked to the pub Thomas hung back to walk with Lucie.

"You feeling better, Love?" Thomas asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"Yes, and thank you for yesterday Thomas. I loved my dress."

"I loved you in it, Luce, now get a move on." Lucie felt her heart flutter.

By the time everyone had piled into the private room in the pub, you could see how tense John was. Thomas has seated himself next to Lucie, who was sat next to Polly.

"Alright, John." Tommy spoke politely when everyone was seated.

"What's troubling you, Love?" Lucie asked sweetly, earning a smile off John.