xix

CHAPTER NINETEEN | hot and cold

Lucie was content and happy, something that had been far fetched for a while. But last night with Thomas, just to lay with him made her happy. Once Lucie had woken, Thomas was already up and down stairs, it sounded as though tea cups were clattering.

"Thomas? Is everything quite alright?" Lucie asked, peering round the banister and looking into the kitchen.

"Everything's fine, Love, I'll be gone in no time." Thomas replied, when Lucie came into Thomas' sight he'd never seen her look so beautiful, not since Cheltenham.

Her hair was waved and two pieces pulled back. A new green skirt, with a crisp white blouse, white heels to accompany too.

"What?" Lucie smiled as she watched Thomas stare at her.

He gave her no reply, instead just looked longer, drinking her beauty in. She looked like a goddess and Thomas loved it.

"What?" Lucie giggled. "Is there something on my dress?" Lucie began to attempt to look on the back of her dress, but Thomas just stood up and walked towards the confused girl.

"Nothing is wrong." Thomas laughed, placing his hands on Lucie's cheeks, turning her head to face him. "You're fine, Love."

Lucie wore a childish grin for most of the day, the odd look she received from Thomas, sometimes accompanied by the odd word of praise, or an award winning wink.

Lucie wasn't needed at work today, instead she spent it at the betting shop. Granted Thomas had told her she would mostly be making tea today and entertaining Esme, but she didn't mind. A day away from drunk men and vomit would be brilliant.

Walking into the betting shop, it was a whole new world for Lucie. Men rushing around, money bouncing on the table, Polly was watching over the men, checking the counting. John was sat on a high stool by the telephone, Esme smiling blissfully at him. Lucie stood in the doorway and watched everything. She felt as though nobody had noticed her, but everyone had. Polly gave the lads a grilling before Lucie came today. 'She's Tommy's, keep your hands off her if you want to keep your sight.'

"Luce, Tommy wants you to check on Arthur, down the hall turn right." John shouted across the room with a wave.

Lucie muttered the directions to herself multiple time until she came to an open room, a small table with two cups of tea and a pale bruised Arthur sat beside it.

"Arth, Love. Is everything okay?" Lucie asked, after she'd knocked on the wall since there was no door.

"Tommy not told you, eh?" Arthur asked, his voice hoarse.

Lucie walked closer and sat down on the chair next to Arthur, she noticed the bruised line across his neck, fading as it wrapped round. Lucie understood what had happened. Everything with his father must have become too much.

"Oh, Arthur. Why didn't you talk to me?" Lucie held his hand that was on the small green table, Arthur looked towards her with tears eyes.

"Everyone hated me." He whispered.

"Hey, hey. I didn't, John didn't, Polly and Thomas didn't hate you, they were just angry. It's all okay now, you don't ever ever do that. Ever, alright?" Lucie wrapped her arms around the man and embraced him, as Thomas walked in.

"I'll leave you two to it, then." Lucie kissed Arthur cheek and stood up, walking towards Thomas and embracing him too.

"You be nice to him, or I'll have your head." Lucie whispered in Tommy's ear earning a little laugh.

"I'll see you later then, eh? After work. My office." Thomas questioned.

"Yes boss man, sir." Lucie giggled and saluted at the man, walking back into the betting shop.

When she walked in, it had calmed more, only Scudboat, John, Esme, Polly and a few other were still here, Little Finn was there too. No one swarmed her with questions or Arthur, instead just looked upon her and then went back to their work.

"Luce, Luce!" Esme shouted the girl over, waving her hand to show her where she sat.

Lucie walked over to Esme with poise and grace, something she lack a lot of the time. Esme wore a loose fitted pick dress, with gold accents on the neckline. For once Lucie felt as if she matched the outfits of the female Shelby's.

"Afternoon Esme. How's it been these weeks then? How's married life treating you?" Lucie inquired, sipping tea that Polly had made the pair, and the joined them at the table.

"Kids drive me fucking mental, but they're lovely when they want to be." Esme laughed, she genuinely seemed happy with her arranged marriage to John.

"Well I don't need to babysit no more, neither does Luce, we're thankful to say the least." Polly joined in, taking a drag of her cigarette.

"Ah! Forever grateful, won't being taking care of any children anymore." Lucie laughed, taking a sip from her tea.

"You'll be married soon enough, there are some nice Lee's if you honestly have been with every other man in the whole of Birmingham." Esme laughed, giving Lucie a tight squeeze on her arm.

"Our Tommy'll have there heads is they come near you, Luce." Polly spoke, but not in a light hearted manor.

"He can do as he likes. Takes they heads I'll fucking have his, treats me like his one day. Forgets I exist the next, Pol. Of course I choose to love the most complicated Shelby. Can't just fall in love with someone who loves me back can I. No, no, no. Instead I trail around like a fucking dog on a rope, looking for an owner who isn't looking for them." Lucie hadn't even realised she'd openly told Esme and Polly that she loved Thomas. Although they both already knew.

But John didn't.

"You love Tommy?" A voice from behind Lucie questioned, Esme and Polly wore large smiles after hearing Lucie's words.

"Oh, kill me now." Lucie stood from her chair and moved around to face, John.

"You. Love. Him." John paused between every word.

"Yes." Lucie replied with her head facing the floor.

"Always knew you did." John picked Lucie up and spun her around, even though she playfully thrashed and pummelled his shoulders.

"Everyone knew she did. She's loved him since she came here almost three years ago."