xv

CHAPTER FIFTEEN | happy wife, happy life

Lucie was at Ada's hideaway, she'd never gone home after the Garrison instead she went straight to Ada. To tell her, everything. She was so elated. And Ada was so happy for her best friend.

By now the pair were sitting at the dinner table, Ada was holding something back, and Lucie could tell.

"Ada, what's wrong? I know something's the matter." Lucie looked straight into Ada's eyes, making her squirm ever so slightly.

"Fine. We're going out today. Tommy told me, it's, er. John's wedding day." Ada stumbled over her words and avoided eye contact with Lucie.

"You pissin' what? Thought Lizzie and him were over." Lucie questioned.

"It's, it's arranged. A Lee girl. Gone a bit wild, John needs someone and she needs marrying off." Lucie wasn't all surprised. Polly had hinted it towards the girl, but Lucie trusted Tommy. She knew this would be alright.

"Fair enough then. I trust Tommy, so I trust it'll be okay. I'll wear my new clothes from Pol." Lucie was giddy, she loved weddings and she wanted to see Tommy again.

"Right, you'll have to help me up the stairs." Ada laughed.

The pair bonded whilst getting changed, laughing over things they'd missed. Ada was eight months along now, and the baby would be coming any day now. Lucie was so excited, she couldn't wait to meet the baby. She hoped it would be a boy, but at the same time, a girl would be more ideal at this moment.

Once the pair arrived, Lucie could see Tommy giving John a pep talk, he looked infuriated. John must have been oblivious. He was in a huff, but yet they all walked towards the make shift isle where Johnny dogs was stood. Lee's were stood on one side, and Lucie could see a girl dressed in white in the distance.

Polly stood beside the pair as they watched the Peaky Blinders wander into place. Tommy stood next to John giving him one last slap on the back as the woman in white walked over to the alter.

John glanced over those who had attended, smiling at Lucie and Ada before walking towards the mystery bride. Tommy turned his head and smirked at Lucie, before turning back around to watch John's ceremony.

Johnny dogs began the ceremony, the pair knelt in front of the altar as everyone else watched. Ada tugged Lucie and Polly to walk forwards, standing right next to Tommy.

"You look well, Ada." Tommy said in a monotone voice.

Ada didn't reply, she just smiled and carried on watching the ceremony. For once everything felt peaceful, which was rare when you were involved with the Shelby's. So you savoured the moments. Although when John turned and smirked to his brothers after seeing the girls face, Lucie couldn't help but giggle a little.

"Do you, John Michael Shelby, take Esme Martha Lee to be your beautiful wife?" Johnny spoke.

Esme? Pretty name. Lucie was excited to meet the girl who she would undoubtedly become close with, since Ada spent her days cooped up with Freddie Thorne, holding from the law. It was calming knowing that John would have a hand with the kids now and Lucie could focus on work and other endeavours.