xxvii

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN | blood and mud

Thomas carried Lucie in his arms all the way back down to where Polly and Ada stood watching John and Esme take care of the children. With every chance Thomas got he kissed Lucie's head or cheek or nose or lips something he wished he'd done more often.

Polly could see Thomas carrying Lucie down the hill and couldn't help but smile, he hadn't been like this since the war. He'd never smiled so much in one day.

When the pair reached everyone else, Thomas finally put a giggling Lucie onto the ground. Placing a gentle kiss on her lips.

"Tommy, somethings happened, it's The Garrison, we've got to get back." Polly had come straight to Thomas after receiving the news.

"You can't be serious?" Lucie questioned, quite alarmed, if it's true, she's lost her job. A job she loved so much.

"Sorry, Love, but Moss has sent for us, it's really happened." Polly stated with a soft smile.

Lucie returned the smile and turned her attention to Thomas once more.

"I'll drive home with Arthur, you get ahead and see the Garrison." Lucie smiled softly.

"Get Arthur to drop you straight at my house, I'll be there before you are." He gave her a half smile and the hastily walked along with Polly. What a day this had turned out to be for Lucie.

"Drop us at the Garrison please Arthur." Lucie asked sweetly.

"Tom said his house." Arthur replied bleakly.

"And I said the Garrison." Lucie replied abruptly.

Arthur turned a sharp corner causing Lucie to catch herself on the side of the door. Thankfully that broke the tension and Arthur burst into an uproar of laughter.

"We can't be serious can we, Luce?" Arthur laughed.

"That's just not us is it?" Lucie giggled, "Now I'll see you tomorrow alright? I'll nip in say hello, since I've got no work to be at."

Arthur stopped the car right round the corner from the Garrison, leaving Lucie to walk the corner.

"Right then, I'll have whiskey and cigarettes ready." Arthur shouted as Lucie began to walk away.

"Keep off the whiskey after I'm gone." She retorted back.

Returning to the smog covered streets was quite therapeutic in some odd way. Yet walking round that corner made her body that much heavier.

It was practically dust, just pure rubble. It was upsetting to see. Lucie's job, where she met the Shelby's, where she met Thomas. Running Grace out of town, late night drinks with Arthur. All of those memories made in the burnt down pub.

"Lucie! Lucie!" A voice shouted from behind her.

She whipped round to see the youngest Shelby, Finn. Little Finn who she'd baby sat for 3 years. Little Tiny Finn. Who is now taller than her.

No words were exchanged, instead she engulfed the young's Shelby into a tight hug. Whether he liked it or not.

"God, I remember when you'd beg me to carry you home, I can barely see you up there now." Lucie laughed looking up at the young Shelby.

"Tommy's called a family meeting, says you're family, so he wants you now." Finn smiled as he began to walk away.

"Summoned by big bad Shelby, well I'd best come then." Lucie laughed jogging to catch up with Finn. "And Mister, I am family, not by blood but I've looked after you all for a long time." Lucie hit Finn's arm playfully.